RE: [Small4-strokeEngines] Re: Small restartable 4-stroke for motorglider

  • mitch katz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      The great thing about propping a plane is that the long blade of a prop makes it relatively easy to start an engine, even in winter. There are millions of Cubs, Champs, T'craft and others out there being safely hand-propped every day. When weight is an issue, the first thing I take out of the equation is the battery, starter, generator,and the brackets that hold it all together. Observing the proper protocols is the key to safe propping. I've propped thousands of starts after being trained at a flight school that teaches flying using a Cub and Champ, then transitions to Cessnas.
      Mitch Katz

      To: Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.comFrom: winter@...: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 02:39:45 +0000Subject: [Small4-strokeEngines] Re: Small restartable 4-stroke for motorglider

      It's encouraging that motorcycles with big> 4-stroke engines use simple kick starters.. the question is, can the> average human strapped into a small cockpit provide enough physical> ooompf to get a small 4-stroke engine to kick over?.. some combination> of muscle & clever mechanical linkage should be able to make it possible.Dan,Just for the sake of comparison...(and I don't mean to sound sarcastic)My '73 1000 CC Harley Sportster (Harley critics will chime in now) can be started on a good day in one or two kicks by someone who "knows how to kick it", providing the stars and planets are all perfectly aligned. I'd hate to try it seated and flying a plane. I'm all about new ways of doing things but 40-60 cubic inches with any kind of compression is going to be a bear to start in that situation.Just my $.02Lynn

    • walnutbranch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
        Don't get a warp type prop with the rod in the middle. They're
        dangerous. Get a wooden prop built and fly with confidence.