Vertical briggs

  • nutnbolt2002
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 1, 2007
      Is it possible to modify the oil pump in a vertical shafted briggs so
      that it will run in a horizontal position? I was thinking of the 22hp
      engine. Will a out side belt drive oil pump work?

      theo
    • Jeron Smith
      Message 44 of 44 , Nov 18, 2007
        Stan

        Good to hear of other engine options that are
        available. We are always looking at a way to meet our
        design goals at a more affordable price but it seems
        that everything cheap has a trade off.

        Looked at the surplus engines at Oshlosh years ago.
        Price is definitely right but it doesn't meet the
        design parameters of the current aircraft regs. Just
        too heavy an engine for an FAR Part 103 legal
        ultralight and not near enough power for a Sport Pilot
        aircraft. Could be made to work on a single seat
        sport pilot aircraft I guess.

        The next phase of our development with the direct
        drive Geo is of course to add a new lightweight
        version of our proven reduction drive and then we are
        at 115 lbs. and 60 HP which will work so much better
        than any direct drive- even one of the same
        horsepower. Does cost more (especially for the
        redrive) but with the modern liquid cooled Geo engine
        and the efficiency of a redruction drive the redrive
        kit is basically free in 500 hrs. of flying due to
        fuel savings at 2 GPH compared to any two stroke Rotax
        or certified aircraft engine of the same horsepower.
        As fuel prices continue to rise the numbers just get
        better and better. That how I look at affordable in
        the long term.

        Jeron @ Raven Redrives

        --- solar4@... wrote:

        > I prefer a 45hp engine that weighs only 120lbs
        > is a 4 stroke and is only costs about $200-$500
        > for an engine ready to fly. Of course you have
        > to like the sound of a 4 cylinder opposed engine.
        > Hee hee..
        >
        > Stan B.
        > Surplus engines moderator

        Be a better pen pal.