Re: [Small4-strokeEngines] More power

  • Kevin Whisler
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      I will second that. "Hold up to the stress" is a pretty vague phrase. Running any engine at a higher output than it was originally designed for is going to increase the stesses and affect reliability and longevity. The extent of this effect is hard to predict, and even harder to overcome. Another major hurdle is that more power means more heat that must be disipated to keep the operating temperatures acceptable. Adding additional cooling capacity to an existing engine design is usually more complicated and difficult than you might imagine. Unless you are up for a major R&D project, which may well ultimately fail, I wouldn't mess with it.

      Kevin

      Loren Shelby <meflyslo@...> wrote:

      You should be on a Large4-strokeEngines site.
      The words more power and reliable don't belong in the same conversation when you are talking about 'Any' engine.
      Loren

      Bill Jeffries <air_systems@...> wrote:
      Hi,
      My question is simple yet complex. Is it possible to turn an
      industrial Briggs or Kohler engine into a higher compression engine
      for more power.
      I like the Vanguard 23HP for it's weight yet it has only a 7.5:1
      compression ratio. Are their high performance parts available to
      readily increase this to say 9.0:1 and will the engine hold up with
      the added stress.

      Thanks,
      Bill Jeffries