Re: Whats up? - further update

  • captain_jims <captain_jims@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2003
      Another update. Now I am on topic for this group.

      Completed fitting and tack welding the entire trike assembly with the
      exception of the motor mount. Now have my Tecumseh out of the box and
      have started stripping the extras like the starter, 120 V connector,
      etc.

      I plan to try the 13 hp SnowKing without mods first. I bought the
      HSK130 Snow King for the 13 hp and the integral compression release.

      Just need some final dimensions with the extras removed and I will
      fit up the motor mount. When that is tacked in place, I will remove
      the entire assembly from the jig and slip on the wheels for a photo,
      a little "flight time", and a CG measurement.

      I abandoned the folding mast since I was going to fold it above the
      motor mount. Was still too tall to fit in my truck, so I will
      transport it with the front strut removed. That will let me get most
      of the trike in the truck. However, that eliminated an adjustment
      point for the fore-aft cg, so I need to get it right during build.

      Long post, but I am feeling good about what I see so far. With luck,
      engine on next weekend.

      Jim

      --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Lutke

    • alleganmortgage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2003
        In a message dated 2/2/2003 5:47:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        captain_jims@... writes:

        > Another update. Now I am on topic for this group.
        >
        > Completed fitting and tack welding the entire trike assembly with the
        > exception of the motor mount. Now have my Tecumseh out of the box and
        > have started stripping the extras like the starter, 120 V connector,
        > etc.
        >
        > I plan to try the 13 hp SnowKing without mods first. I bought the
        > HSK130 Snow King for the 13 hp and the integral compression release.
        >
        > Just need some final dimensions with the extras removed and I will
        > fit up the motor mount. When that is tacked in place, I will remove
        > the entire assembly from the jig and slip on the wheels for a photo,
        > a little "flight time", and a CG measurement.
        >
        > I abandoned the folding mast since I was going to fold it above the
        > motor mount. Was still too tall to fit in my truck, so I will
        > transport it with the front strut removed. That will let me get most
        > of the trike in the truck. However, that eliminated an adjustment
        > point for the fore-aft cg, so I need to get it right during build.
        >
        > Long post, but I am feeling good about what I see so far. With luck,
        > engine on next weekend.
        >
        > Jim

        Jim...

        I see a prop swinging on this thing in a week or two..Have you made the hub
        already?

        Terry

      • captain_jims <captain_jims@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2003
          The hub will be turned from a pulley per the drawings from B&H. I
          have not yet purchased the pulley. I have been looking for it, but
          will need to go to one of the local industrial supply houses to get
          it. It is specified to have a tapered bushing which tightens down on
          the shaft as it is pulled into place.

          Cold weather over the next week will chase me out of the shop until
          next weekend.

          The most important step coming up is to determine the CG of the trike
          to get the mast geometry correct. That means I need to mount the
          engine and the pilot(me) and hang the whole assembly from the
          rafters. The prop and hub weight will be simulated for this test.
          This is an extremely important step that must be right or the takeoff
          and landing will be terrible. I will focus on the hub after this step.

          Jim

          > Jim...
          >
          > I see a prop swinging on this thing in a week or two..Have you made
          the hub
          > already?
          >
          > Terry

        • Tony Alderman
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 10, 2003
            What kind of weight are you looking at on your engine? Tony
            Tony Alderman
            Durham NC EAA Chapter #879
            t-hawk@...

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 10, 2003
              See message 250 and/or the folder I put in the files section. There
              is a weight breakdown there.

              The engine out of the box was a surprising 64#. The literature lists
              60# and I thought that would be shipping weight with the actual
              closer to 56#. Now I start stripping.

              Jim

              --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Alderman" <t-

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/