Kohler 27 hp

  • challengehill
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
      Is the promised Kohler 27 hp horizontal v-twin available for purchase
      yet?
    • JERRY
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
        I have not heard anything about it. Sounds very interesting. What have you
        heard about it? 27 hp stock would be about right. I would think removing
        the blower and muffler ought to be good for another 1 or 2 hp.

        To add a little perspective, I installed a stripped down 25 hp Kohler on my
        Thunder Gull and did some crow hops with it. The Gull had a total take-off
        weight of about 460 pounds and the 20 foot wing. I ended up with a 54x20
        prop to get 3500 rpm static. It would just get off the ground. But did not
        seem like enough thrust or speed to go ahead and fly it. The Gull is
        aerodynamically clean but had the short wing for high wing loading.

        I had also built a motor glider with a 39 foot wing using a 23 hp 2 stroke
        engine. It took off and flew just fine.

        I think low drag and low wing loading is the key to making these low power
        engines work. I am now working on a low drag/low wing loading design of my
        own which I hope to have flying yet this season. I'll probably start with a
        30 hp 2-stroke but hope to make the Kohler or a 2A042 military surplus
        engine work ultimately.

        Jerry Booker

        At 09:25 PM 7/5/02 -0000, you wrote:
        >Is the promised Kohler 27 hp horizontal v-twin available for purchase
        >yet?

      • JERRY
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
          I was just looking at my Kohler and wondering if I could rig up a belted
          re-drive for it when I saw on the [surplusengines] group the following:

          weemoose@... wrote: Click here: Great Plains New Products and
          Products Under Development
          >http://www.greatplainsas.com/newproducts.html<
          Scroll down to see the Kohler engine and redux.

          Looks like GPAC thinks it will work, at least on the airboats they sell. I
          didn't have any of the blower, housing, starter, or exaust stuff on mine
          when I had it set for direct drive for flying, probably don't need it. I
          also wonder if the 16 pound flywheel is needed.

          Jerry Booker
        • gilan34711
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2002
            basic power to weight ratio problems always arise with the small 4
            strokes. If a 4 stroke engine is less than 30hp it is usually way
            too heavy for the plane. I fly a plane that requires about 25hp but
            the engine complete with starter and exhaust has to stay around 50
            lbs or less. I have to use a 2 stroke to get that power and stay
            light weight. Any of us that fly with 20 to 25 Hp engines know this.
            I hope this Kohler v-twin will be at or less than 50 lbs or it will
            be near useless. 27 Hp isn't much so the engine better be very light
            weight.

            Have a nice day and stay out of the trees!
            http://www.mitchellwing.com

            --- In Small4-strokeEngines@y..., "challengehill"