Weights

  • ironnerd88
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      The idea of strapping a B&S Vanguard to the nose of my plane is quite
      appealing, but I have not been able to find out how much one of these
      things weighs. Does ANYONE out there have a reasonably accurate weight
      for these engines (as used for flight, but without a re-drive)?
    • jeremy_harris_uk
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "ironnerd88"
        <ironnerd88@y...> wrote:
        > The idea of strapping a B&S Vanguard to the nose of my plane is
        quite
        > appealing, but I have not been able to find out how much one of
        these
        > things weighs. Does ANYONE out there have a reasonably accurate
        weight
        > for these engines (as used for flight, but without a re-drive)?

        My modified, 40hp at 5200rpm, B&S Vanguard weighs 35kg (77lbs),
        complete with electric start, fuel pump, air filter, voltage
        regulator etc. The reduction gearbox I'm using weighs 3.5kg
        (7.7lbs) and the carbon fibre exhaust cans and stainless pipes add
        another 1.2kg (2.6lbs) for the pair.

        All in I have a 40hp four stroke that has an installed weight (less
        prop) of around 39.7kg (87.4lbs), which is pretty much exactly the
        same weight (perhaps even a bit lighter) than a similarly equipped
        Rotax 447 two stroke.

        The weights above are real and accurate, measured on a decent set of
        digital industrial scales.

        The engine has billet rods, roller rockers and a modified camshaft.
        The carb is a twin choke Nikki, fitted with a K&N filter. The inlet
        manifold is cleaned up and the compression ratio is raised
        slightly. The core engine is a 25hp B&S Vanguard. The only weight
        reducing mod I've done is to make a mould from the old steel fan
        housing shroud and make a new shroud out of epoxy glass. This saved
        well over 1kg, so was worth doing.

        Jeremy
        SALISBURY
        UK
      • deansigler1
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          Jeremy,

          How much did all this "tuning" cost? I am impressed with your
          engine specifications. What size propeller do you spin?

          Dean Sigler

          --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "jeremy_harris_uk"
          <jeremy.s.harris@n...> wrote:
          > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "ironnerd88"
          > <ironnerd88@y...> wrote:
          > > The idea of strapping a B&S Vanguard to the nose of my plane is
          > quite
          > > appealing, but I have not been able to find out how much one of
          > these
          > > things weighs. Does ANYONE out there have a reasonably accurate
          > weight
          > > for these engines (as used for flight, but without a re-drive)?
          >
          > My modified, 40hp at 5200rpm, B&S Vanguard weighs 35kg (77lbs),
          > complete with electric start, fuel pump, air filter, voltage
          > regulator etc. The reduction gearbox I'm using weighs 3.5kg
          > (7.7lbs) and the carbon fibre exhaust cans and stainless pipes add
          > another 1.2kg (2.6lbs) for the pair.
          >
          > All in I have a 40hp four stroke that has an installed weight (less
          > prop) of around 39.7kg (87.4lbs), which is pretty much exactly the
          > same weight (perhaps even a bit lighter) than a similarly equipped
          > Rotax 447 two stroke.
          >
          > The weights above are real and accurate, measured on a decent set
          of
          > digital industrial scales.
          >
          > The engine has billet rods, roller rockers and a modified
          camshaft.
          > The carb is a twin choke Nikki, fitted with a K&N filter. The
          inlet
          > manifold is cleaned up and the compression ratio is raised
          > slightly. The core engine is a 25hp B&S Vanguard. The only
          weight
          > reducing mod I've done is to make a mould from the old steel fan
          > housing shroud and make a new shroud out of epoxy glass. This
          saved
          > well over 1kg, so was worth doing.
          >
          > Jeremy
          > SALISBURY
          > UK
        • ironnerd88
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
            Jeremy,

            Thank-you for the data. It is greatly appreciated. A little math
            from the data in the DA-11 file got me to about 75lbs, but an actual
            running-engine weight is so much more useful.

            Interestingly, your 40HP Briggs weighs almost the same as a 40(ish)
            HP 1/2 VW, as used on the Hummelbird.

            John

            --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "deansigler1"

          • jeremy_harris_uk
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
              <deansigler1@y...> wrote:
              > Jeremy,
              >
              > How much did all this "tuning" cost? I am impressed with your
              > engine specifications. What size propeller do you spin?
              >
              > Dean Sigler

              Dean,

              I have to be a bit circumspect here, because the engine supplier (who
              supplies these engines ready built and tuned for small race cars and
              karts) isn't allowed to supply them for aircraft use. Buying one for
              a hovercraft is just fine though, even if it "hovers" a bit higher
              than usual............... :-)

              The engine, complete with electric start, carb, air filter, generator,
              voltage regulator and fuel pump, but with no exhaust, was $2740
              ex-works North Carolina (don't even ask what the shipping and tax cost
              in getting it here to the UK!).

              The reduction drive I've built is a Poly-V belt, using the pulleys and
              parts supplied as spares for the Zanzottera engines. I got these from
              ULM technologie in France (www.ulmtechnologie.com). These weren't
              exactly cheap (prop pulley and hub, ~$100, engine pulley (needed
              machining to fit) ~$50, matched pair of double V Gates Poly-V 7M JB
              belts would you believe ~$150! plus the cost of some 3/8" alloy plate
              to make a two plate sandwich type mount (to save weight) and a bit of
              bar to machine up the shaft for the prop pulley. The prop pulley is
              running on a pair of 6006 2RSJC3 (metric) bearings that were around
              $15 each.

              The present prop is a 62" Powerfin, but that may change soon. I'm
              looking at changing the belt drive for a neat little lightweight
              gearbox, made by a chap in Belarus. This will necessitate a prop
              change, due to the changed ratio and the reversed rotation.

              Hope this helps,

              Jeremy
              SALISBURY
              UK
            • will fanning
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
                hi Jeremy, do you have photos of this engine and redrive set-up???

                jeremy_harris_uk <jeremy.s.harris@...> wrote:--- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "deansigler1"
                <deansigler1@y...> wrote:
                > Jeremy,
                >
                > How much did all this "tuning" cost? I am impressed with your
                > engine specifications. What size propeller do you spin?
                >
                > Dean Sigler

                Dean,

                I have to be a bit circumspect here, because the engine supplier (who
                supplies these engines ready built and tuned for small race cars and
                karts) isn't allowed to supply them for aircraft use. Buying one for
                a hovercraft is just fine though, even if it "hovers" a bit higher
                than usual............... :-)

                The engine, complete with electric start, carb, air filter, generator,
                voltage regulator and fuel pump, but with no exhaust, was $2740
                ex-works North Carolina (don't even ask what the shipping and tax cost
                in getting it here to the UK!).

                The reduction drive I've built is a Poly-V belt, using the pulleys and
                parts supplied as spares for the Zanzottera engines. I got these from
                ULM technologie in France (www.ulmtechnologie.com). These weren't
                exactly cheap (prop pulley and hub, ~$100, engine pulley (needed
                machining to fit) ~$50, matched pair of double V Gates Poly-V 7M JB
                belts would you believe ~$150! plus the cost of some 3/8" alloy plate
                to make a two plate sandwich type mount (to save weight) and a bit of
                bar to machine up the shaft for the prop pulley. The prop pulley is
                running on a pair of 6006 2RSJC3 (metric) bearings that were around
                $15 each.

                The present prop is a 62" Powerfin, but that may change soon. I'm
                looking at changing the belt drive for a neat little lightweight
                gearbox, made by a chap in Belarus. This will necessitate a prop
                change, due to the changed ratio and the reversed rotation.

                Hope this helps,

                Jeremy
                SALISBURY
                UK

                ### Lets use this list to build a knowledge base for those who are
                interested in flying with these engines. Don't forget you can search the
                messages archive for past discussions. Please keep comments on subject.
                Sorry, no attachments allowed.

                For access to the home page:

                For direct access to the files area:

                Aviation maintenance Aviation maintenance training Aviation maintenance schools Aviation school Aviation training Aviation maintenance schools

                ---------------------------------

                To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.......... Oh, It is not what you can buy, it is what you can build. ( W.F.)

              • deansigler1
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Excellent information. Your secret is safe with me (us). Thank you.

                  Dean

                  <jeremy.s.harris@n...> wrote:
                  > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "deansigler1"
                  > <deansigler1@y...> wrote:
                  > > Jeremy,
                  > >
                  > > How much did all this "tuning" cost? I am impressed with your
                  > > engine specifications. What size propeller do you spin?
                  > >
                  > > Dean Sigler
                  > >

                  > Dean,
                  >
                  > I have to be a bit circumspect here, because the engine supplier
                  (who
                  > supplies these engines ready built and tuned for small race cars
                  and
                  > karts) isn't allowed to supply them for aircraft use. Buying one
                  for
                  > a hovercraft is just fine though, even if it "hovers" a bit higher
                  > than usual............... :-)
                  >
                  > The engine, complete with electric start, carb, air filter,
                  generator,
                  > voltage regulator and fuel pump, but with no exhaust, was $2740
                  > ex-works North Carolina (don't even ask what the shipping and tax
                  cost
                  > in getting it here to the UK!).
                  >
                  > The reduction drive I've built is a Poly-V belt, using the pulleys
                  and
                  > parts supplied as spares for the Zanzottera engines. I got these
                  from
                  > ULM technologie in France (www.ulmtechnologie.com). These weren't
                  > exactly cheap (prop pulley and hub, ~$100, engine pulley (needed
                  > machining to fit) ~$50, matched pair of double V Gates Poly-V 7M JB
                  > belts would you believe ~$150! plus the cost of some 3/8" alloy
                  plate
                  > to make a two plate sandwich type mount (to save weight) and a bit
                  of
                  > bar to machine up the shaft for the prop pulley. The prop pulley
                  is
                  > running on a pair of 6006 2RSJC3 (metric) bearings that were around
                  > $15 each.
                  >
                  > The present prop is a 62" Powerfin, but that may change soon. I'm
                  > looking at changing the belt drive for a neat little lightweight
                  > gearbox, made by a chap in Belarus. This will necessitate a prop
                  > change, due to the changed ratio and the reversed rotation.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps,
                  >
                  > Jeremy
                  > SALISBURY
                  > UK
                • ironnerd88
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 15, 2005
                    Jeremy,

                    How much do the starter and original fan and shroud weigh? I am also
                    interested in the current time (testing or flight) on the engine.

                    Thanks for providing us with so much data, it is appreciated.

                    -John

                    <jeremy.s.harris@n...> wrote:
                    > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "deansigler1"
                    > <deansigler1@y...> wrote:
                    > > Jeremy,
                    > >
                    > > How much did all this "tuning" cost? I am impressed with your
                    > > engine specifications. What size propeller do you spin?
                    > >
                    > > Dean Sigler
                    > >

                    > Dean,
                    >
                    > I have to be a bit circumspect here, because the engine supplier
                    (who
                    > supplies these engines ready built and tuned for small race cars
                    and
                    > karts) isn't allowed to supply them for aircraft use. Buying one
                    for
                    > a hovercraft is just fine though, even if it "hovers" a bit higher
                    > than usual............... :-)
                    >
                    > The engine, complete with electric start, carb, air filter,
                    generator,
                    > voltage regulator and fuel pump, but with no exhaust, was $2740
                    > ex-works North Carolina (don't even ask what the shipping and tax
                    cost
                    > in getting it here to the UK!).
                    >
                    > The reduction drive I've built is a Poly-V belt, using the pulleys
                    and
                    > parts supplied as spares for the Zanzottera engines. I got these
                    from
                    > ULM technologie in France (www.ulmtechnologie.com). These weren't
                    > exactly cheap (prop pulley and hub, ~$100, engine pulley (needed
                    > machining to fit) ~$50, matched pair of double V Gates Poly-V 7M JB
                    > belts would you believe ~$150! plus the cost of some 3/8" alloy
                    plate
                    > to make a two plate sandwich type mount (to save weight) and a bit
                    of
                    > bar to machine up the shaft for the prop pulley. The prop pulley
                    is
                    > running on a pair of 6006 2RSJC3 (metric) bearings that were around
                    > $15 each.
                    >
                    > The present prop is a 62" Powerfin, but that may change soon. I'm
                    > looking at changing the belt drive for a neat little lightweight
                    > gearbox, made by a chap in Belarus. This will necessitate a prop
                    > change, due to the changed ratio and the reversed rotation.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps,
                    >
                    > Jeremy
                    > SALISBURY
                    > UK
                  • Oleg Golovidov
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 19, 2008
                      Jeremy, if you are still reading the list, can you give us an update
                      on your experience with this modified B&S Vanguard engine? Did you
                      continue using the belt re-drive? Is it holding up OK? Do you still
                      use the engine? How many hours? Do you like it? Any problems at all
                      with the engine and re-drive? Can you PLEASE post some pictures of the
                      re-drive on the engine.

                      Oleg.

                      <jeremy.s.harris@...> wrote:

                      > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "ironnerd88"
                      > <ironnerd88@y...> wrote:
                      > > The idea of strapping a B&S Vanguard to the nose of my plane is
                      > quite
                      > > appealing, but I have not been able to find out how much one of
                      > these
                      > > things weighs. Does ANYONE out there have a reasonably accurate
                      > weight
                      > > for these engines (as used for flight, but without a re-drive)?
                      >
                      > My modified, 40hp at 5200rpm, B&S Vanguard weighs 35kg (77lbs),
                      > complete with electric start, fuel pump, air filter, voltage
                      > regulator etc. The reduction gearbox I'm using weighs 3.5kg
                      > (7.7lbs) and the carbon fibre exhaust cans and stainless pipes add
                      > another 1.2kg (2.6lbs) for the pair.
                      >
                      > All in I have a 40hp four stroke that has an installed weight (less
                      > prop) of around 39.7kg (87.4lbs), which is pretty much exactly the
                      > same weight (perhaps even a bit lighter) than a similarly equipped
                      > Rotax 447 two stroke.
                      >
                      > The weights above are real and accurate, measured on a decent set of
                      > digital industrial scales.
                      >
                      > The engine has billet rods, roller rockers and a modified camshaft.
                      > The carb is a twin choke Nikki, fitted with a K&N filter. The inlet
                      > manifold is cleaned up and the compression ratio is raised
                      > slightly. The core engine is a 25hp B&S Vanguard. The only weight
                      > reducing mod I've done is to make a mould from the old steel fan
                      > housing shroud and make a new shroud out of epoxy glass. This saved
                      > well over 1kg, so was worth doing.
                      >
                      > Jeremy
                      > SALISBURY
                      > UK

                    • Edward Seddon
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 19, 2008
                        Jeremy

                        Is this the 44 cu.inch engine?

                        Are you useing stock pistons and rings?

                        Where did you get the rods and other modified parts?

                        Thanks Ed
                        USA