Re: DragonFly 1000cc Generac First Reports

  • GeoB
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 7, 2013
      > First impression was OMG is it ever smooth!

      Dag, I have been following your build of this engine, I have known most of your mods. To what do you attribute the new smoothness? I know you mentioned balancing, but had you not done this on previous renditions of this engine?

      > The newly designed "active" revive

      I don't understand this, is it a typo?

      thanks
      GeoB
    • Darrell Mazzoline
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 8, 2013
          GeoB,
         There was more than one type of vibration going on. Each required its own remedy. The "active" re-drive is as it sounds. Most re-drives just stretch out the pulleys from each other thus putting tension on the belt. Effective but crude. The active re-drive uses an idler pulley to draw up slack. The idler is spring loaded to allow the belt to be "active" in dampening the harmonic headed back to the crank.  Doing so allows for less belt tension . That is beneficial in many ways. Less side load on the crank bearing. Less heat, just to name a few. There is now a simple, easy and "proper" way to measure belt tension.

            Thanks for your interest.

                                                                                                DragonFire. 1000cc Generac.