Re: [Small4-strokeEngines] DragonFly 1000cc Generac First Reports

  • Darrell Mazzoline
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 6, 2013
      Had a great flight Thursday afternoon. Warm, 4MPH winds fantastic sunset. I took one of my pocket video cameras up to try a record the lack of vibration this new Dragofire motor has. I tell you it is soooo  smooth! In the past the GPS would flop around on the thin metal tab I installed to mount it to. At times I could not read it for the vibration. The prop ring was one other source I could look at and get a reading. Because of weight the prop ring is thin and houses a 68 in prop. It picked up any vibration.
          I often said it was my tattle tail. And the carb in the rubber boot was one other great indicator. Because the carbs are on a long intake tube with the rubber carb socket at the extreme end. The weight of the carb would magnify any movement. It shook so that fuel would bubble up and out the vent tubes.
          As mentioned in and earlier report. My now cruise RPM is around 3060. At that RPM the DragonFire burns 1.7 to 1.9 GPH. I included a snap of the instrument to point it out. Its just above the yellow line I drew. The motor is making great power. I may have to change out the main jets, a tad lean at WFO.

                           Video……………….   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM-IVHnrbp4&feature=youtu.be

      On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:00 AM, Darrell Mazzoline <dagwodzz@...> wrote:

      Hi Ron,
       It was in Franklin Illinois.

      On Sep 4, 2013, at 8:51 AM, ron ohler <ohler_ron@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      Looks like they have a really neat place. I looked for faces I knew but didn't recognize anyone. What part of Indiana was it?
      Best,
      RonO

      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 8, 2013
          GeoB,
         There was more than one type of vibration going on. Each required its own remedy. The "active" re-drive is as it sounds. Most re-drives just stretch out the pulleys from each other thus putting tension on the belt. Effective but crude. The active re-drive uses an idler pulley to draw up slack. The idler is spring loaded to allow the belt to be "active" in dampening the harmonic headed back to the crank.  Doing so allows for less belt tension . That is beneficial in many ways. Less side load on the crank bearing. Less heat, just to name a few. There is now a simple, easy and "proper" way to measure belt tension.

            Thanks for your interest.

                                                                                                DragonFire. 1000cc Generac.

        On Sep 7, 2013, at 2:58 PM, GeoB <gab16@...> wrote:

        > First impression was OMG is it ever smooth!

        Dag, I have been following your build of this engine, I have known most of your mods. To what do you attribute the new smoothness? I know you mentioned balancing, but had you not done this on previous renditions of this engine?

        > The newly designed "active" revive

        I don't understand this, is it a typo?

        thanks
        GeoB