Re: [Small4-strokeEngines] DragonFly 1000cc Generac First Reports

  • Darrell Mazzoline
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 4, 2013

        Two weeks ago I headed up to Ill. to take part in a fly-in being held there by a friend Nail. It was a great weekend. Weather was perfect. Calm in the AM , breezy during the day, calm in the evening. Great local and setting. 2 runways N/S & E/W. The people were accommodating and the food was crazy good. Thanks to Sharon and Nail and all their helpers. It was the hit of the summer.

    • Darrell Mazzoline
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 8, 2013
          GeoB,
         There was more than one type of vibration going on. Each required its own remedy. The "active" re-drive is as it sounds. Most re-drives just stretch out the pulleys from each other thus putting tension on the belt. Effective but crude. The active re-drive uses an idler pulley to draw up slack. The idler is spring loaded to allow the belt to be "active" in dampening the harmonic headed back to the crank.  Doing so allows for less belt tension . That is beneficial in many ways. Less side load on the crank bearing. Less heat, just to name a few. There is now a simple, easy and "proper" way to measure belt tension.

            Thanks for your interest.

                                                                                                DragonFire. 1000cc Generac.

        On Sep 7, 2013, at 2:58 PM, GeoB <gab16@...> wrote:

        > First impression was OMG is it ever smooth!

        Dag, I have been following your build of this engine, I have known most of your mods. To what do you attribute the new smoothness? I know you mentioned balancing, but had you not done this on previous renditions of this engine?

        > The newly designed "active" revive

        I don't understand this, is it a typo?

        thanks
        GeoB