Re: [Small4-strokeEngines] Telephone Conference minutes/details in response to Darrel M's crankshaft woes

  • Darrell Mazzoline
    Message 1 of 133 , Jun 21, 2013
      Hi Guys, Sorry to out of touch. My father is in ICU
       Been out of town for a week and un plugged. Don, my Honda rep. thought at 3000 RPM that he felt that 36 was to much. At a higher RPM 3600 on up no problem.
          Through many phone calls to other pilots using this motor . PPG/PPC . I have come to the conciliation, that because of so many flying with out issue
       I must be my total set up. Meaning….. my all up weight/ wing loading/ ratio. Puts me in a "bad vibe" at cruise. 3K. If I weighed more,or had a bigger or smaller wing the motor would operate in a different RPM  range. Its because of that I am changing the ratio a bit to speed up the RPM of the motor. It likes it better higher anyway.
       I am moving forward with the billet crank too. I have some fixes for other things as well. Such as a more accurate way to measure belt tension, so as to run only as much tension as needed to avoid slippage. Do not want any unnecessary side load.

                                              DAG

      On Jun 14, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Mike <mostsigbit@...> wrote:

      Hi Darrel

      Sorry, there are different conversations going on in the same thread. It is confusing, but it is also the nature of Y! groups.

      1. I asked if you might be running too much timing advance.
      2. You responded describing your 36 degree setup.
      3. Bill responded saying he would not use 36 degree advance with unleaded fuel as that flywheel was meant for propane.
      4. You responded saying you had a conversation with a Honda engineer:
      "Bill, Interesting you bring this up this morning. I had this very
      conversation with my Honda engineering friend.

      I was asking what the outcome of the conversation was, since you only mentioned that it took place. What were the engineer's comments?

      Mike Phillips

      --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, Darrell Mazzoline <dagwodzz@...> wrote:

      > "Darrel
      >
      > Well, how did that conversation go?"
      >
      > Mike, This thread has me mixed up. Not sure what conversation you are referring to at this point. But all indications is pointing to the advanced timing. Bill, along with some other here and my buds have made same statements. AS I racked my brain and after contacting others with similar set ups. I'm leaning towards to far advanced "fixed" timing. 36 degrees at 3K lugging the motor basically, and spinning a heavy prop. all makes sense to me anyway. Moving the firing cycle may just ease the load at the critical rpm I'm flying in. I may also change the pitch some to move the cruise RPM after trying the stock flywheel

    • Darrell Mazzoline
      Message 133 of 133 , Jun 21, 2013
        Good read Mike, That as they say ….. is the question? Being a bigger is better guy. Of course I want the keep the 36 as it gives better  WOT performance.  Better climb in a PPC. However they have a natural gas flywheel that falls in-between I may use. The crank I'm having made will be stroked to 999 and will have a larger crank pin by 4MM.  I aint plain. :)

        On Jun 21, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Mike <mostsigbit@...> wrote:

        Darrel

        Sorry to hear about your father, hope he gets better.
        So, does this mean you are keeping the 36 deg advance flywheel, or are you undecided on that one?

        Mike