Re: 4 stroke CAN AM V-twin ,fuel injected ATV engine

  • Kev A
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 27 5:38 AM
      If this helps, I spent three months beginning of last year designing a reduction drive, using an eccentric shaft belt adjustment and with a target of up to 50hp. Being in a computer based business helps, it is a handy way to relax on a lunchtime ;-)

      So far it has been reliable, with one belt adjustment after bedding-in and none required since in 30+ hours.

      The backplate design is easy to alter to suit any pattern of holes just by amending the CAD drawing and issuing it for machining. I did wonder if it could be shaped to replace the clutch cover on a bike engine, perhaps with a support bearing and seal built in for the engine pulley so a shaft could be rigged into the original clutch centre.

      The high revs bikes run at wouldn't then matter, as part of the initial reduction would take place into the clutch cage gear.

      The reduction could then use a larger diameter engine pulley, and cope with even more power.

      Just a thought; I'd enjoy doing the work of amending the drawings to suit any engine source

      Kev

      --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, Jesse <ringgo1star@...> wrote:

      > There is a gent overseas who is making airplanes using a Honda CBR-600 engine. That engine of course has the transmission as part of the crankcase. This guy used the transmission area to mount his redrive. Very slick motor conversion. AND that 600 cc motor is pumping out around 90hp in a carbureted version. Its probably around 110 hp fuel injected.
      >
      > Jesse
      >

      > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 27 6:26 PM
        My buddy bolted up a belt drive to the polaris 500CC single atv engine,You gotta use the ATV's puter. It would've worked except the power pulse of the single was just a little strong. A twin would be nice. You can see the vids on you tube. Type lndc1 into the search box. Jims polaris project or something like that. We both started flying bigger heavier stuff so the light engines went on the back burner. I'm picking up a UL next month so I'll be looking for 4 stroke power.
        Dan

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 29 12:15 AM
          A Quad has restrictions on engine bay that means the flywheel has to be compact; a flywheel can be lighter if it is bigger.

          Or if the output shaft can have a deliberately oversized pulley, or flywheel disc on the back of the pulley, especially if it is tapered, you would smooth out the pulses.

          ATVs tend to have belt drives which sits conversion, unlike the integral gearbox units on bikes.

          Hope you succeed, Polaris engines are Fuji Robins aren't they?

          Kev

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 29 7:02 AM
            Hi, I don't know about the newer larger engines, my old 2 smoke was a fuji. Polaris moved alot of the manufacturing to Mexico so who knows until you see the data plate on the engine. I haven't started scrounging yet.
            Dan

            --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Kev A" <kevin@...> wrote:

            > A Quad has restrictions on engine bay that means the flywheel has to be compact; a flywheel can be lighter if it is bigger.
            >
            > Or if the output shaft can have a deliberately oversized pulley, or flywheel disc on the back of the pulley, especially if it is tapered, you would smooth out the pulses.
            >
            > ATVs tend to have belt drives which sits conversion, unlike the integral gearbox units on bikes.
            >
            > Hope you succeed, Polaris engines are Fuji Robins aren't they?
            >
            > Kev
            >
            > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dpcharter1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > My buddy bolted up a belt drive to the polaris 500CC single atv engine,You gotta use the ATV's puter. It would've worked except the power pulse of the single was just a little strong. A twin would be nice. You can see the vids on you tube. Type lndc1 into the search box. Jims polaris project or something like that. We both started flying bigger heavier stuff so the light engines went on the back burner. I'm picking up a UL next month so I'll be looking for 4 stroke power.
            > > Dan
            > >
            > > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Maldague" <jmmaldague@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Yes for sure this engine is very interesting, it has all the advantages of the 2 strokes without all the inconvenient. The main problem isn't the redrive but the electronics, it would probably be needed to get all the wiring and ecms from a snowbike to makes in run.
            > > > Not easy to find at a good price.
            > > >
            > > > Jmm

          • George Bearden
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 29 1:03 PM

              > my old 2 smoke was a fuji .

              They use Fuji still. AND in American factories! They are built in the USA ! And Canada ... think.. And they recently bought KTM!

              Polaris makes some fine equipment.

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2013
                I'm from MN where they used to be built. I'm guessing that the watercraft and snowmobiles are being built here. I don't have connections at the office anymore. I'm just going with what the rumor mill states here.
                Dan Charter
                Northern MN