Re: [Small4-strokeEngines] Re: Video of Kohler VTwin

  • Bill Ladd
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
      Looks very good.  Which model Kohler is this? Did you do any internal mods?  Thanks!

      On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM, invadermark4 <garrywarber@...> wrote:

      Sure sounds over 30hp! And you are flying it, so no one can say it dosn't work. Got a vid of your supercharged version? That one has got to have some oomph to it!
      Garry

      --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, Norman Heistand wrote:

      > See my Kohler VTwin ultralight engine running on the test stand.
      > This engine is 64lbs without the flywheel and is estimated to make over
      > 30hp.
      > Modifications are Weber 2-barrell carb, dual cdi ignition, and all extras
      > stripped off.
      > Flywheel will be replaced with propshaft and hub.
      >
      > http://youtu.be/1IRo6jU8zQE
      >
      > Norm Heistand my .02

    • Norman Heistand
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
        This one is a Kohler CH25 which is 730 cc, my next one will be 740cc which is called the ch740 advertised as 27hp stock. No internal mods, just the compression release valves on the heads.

        I was not satisfied with the long intake plumbing on my supercharger installation. I believe it would make 35-38hp but I like the weber carb setup better, and it is lighter which is my goal for my Weedhopper.

        Norm H.

        On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Bill Ladd <bill.ladd@...> wrote:

        Looks very good.  Which model Kohler is this? Did you do any internal mods?  Thanks!

        On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM, invadermark4 <garrywarber@...> wrote:

        Sure sounds over 30hp! And you are flying it, so no one can say it dosn't work. Got a vid of your supercharged version? That one has got to have some oomph to it!
        Garry

        --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, Norman Heistand wrote:

        > See my Kohler VTwin ultralight engine running on the test stand.
        > This engine is 64lbs without the flywheel and is estimated to make over
        > 30hp.
        > Modifications are Weber 2-barrell carb, dual cdi ignition, and all extras
        > stripped off.
        > Flywheel will be replaced with propshaft and hub.
        >
        > http://youtu.be/1IRo6jU8zQE
        >
        > Norm Heistand my .02

      • Kev A
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
          A Weber has accelerator pumps, so will always give a faster pickup than the fixed jet unit that industrial engines use.

          In a fire pump or tiller that engine will be asked to run at pretty constant revs, with the butterflies opening to vary torque output as load increases, so the stock carbs ironically are actually better suited for aviation running at constant rpm.

          Norm's setup would be dream in a lawn mower racer or tractor-puller, the rapid pickup would also really suit a weightshift (Rogallo) as the foot throttle is dabbed a lot when landing to adjust attitude and so on.

          Certainly sounds hot; has it go the plastic camshaft gear that some tuners complain about?

          Kev

          PS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ0IYnGNfH8