Re: Hoses for inlets on any V-Twin

  • Kev A
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 18, 2013
      Sounds right; 2.25 diameter is almost a plenum. more like 1.25" on mine.

      I'd envisaged long but no change in section

      The Luciole has very long inlet tubes to run down to a carb set under the crankcase, maybe Columban thinks long inlet tracts are a good thing too?

      Great idea to use exhaust tubing, easy to get the bends and heatproof too

      Kev

      --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, Peter Walker <peterwalker58@...> wrote:

      > Hello you suffered from low flow as the hose was WAYYYY too big The step up and down also created a  turbulent zone at both ends of the hose Peter

    • Peter Walker
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 18, 2013
        Hello
        For 2nd order harmonics you need 26" from valve seat to carb It gives 7% increase from 3385 to 3800RPM
        Peter
        Woody, How long were the original intake?

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 18, 2013
          It was on a Zenoah G50, the original intake was carb mounted directly to the intake manifold with a 2" piece of hose, like most Rotax engines. Maybe a 1/4" gap between them, very similiar to rotax. One thing of note, the zenoah mounts had nylon cord in them, like a car tire, whereas the rotax boots do not..... much better design from Japan than from Austria. The Zenoah boots last forever, we know how long rotax boots last.

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 18, 2013
            Also, I tried moving just the foam air filters back and leaving the carbs where they were, I wanted to get the air filters away from the carbs to reduce the oil spray saturating them from the back breath of a piston ported two stroke. I also lost big time on power, still using the large diameter hose, which I saw as none restricting. After all, many intakes have a lot of turns and diameter changes between the carbs and the air filters, and the carbs and intake valves. Look at the Chrysler slant 6 for example, with many different intake lengths yet a smooth even engine. Or so it seems... Maybe the Zenoah was just super sensitive. Been a few years.

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 18, 2013
              I figured that the flow was given time to smooth out over the distance,and with carb diameter and intake diameter unchanged, it would work. If anything, more time for fuel/air mix to get even..... The amount being drawn and the amount going through the carb would be the same as before, other than the "turbulance". I don't see any other possibility, so I suppose the turbulance was killing it. If a hose with a reduced inner diameter was used, to match the ID of the carb and intake throat, do  you think that would work??

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 18, 2013
                http://rogueperformance.com/UpperIntakeManifold.html#a

                One link to intake tuning theory. If you do some digging, you should find additional info that talks about the need to keep air velocity up in the intake manifold. Going too big with the tubes slows the air dramatically, & it loses its inertia to drive past the valve into the cylinder. Conventional wisdom among tuners is low rpm (these engines qualify): small diameter & longer runners; high rpm: shorter, larger diameter. Even at 6-7000 rpm, that size runner sounds pretty big. A 200 hp rotary (@7500rpm) uses 2ea  1 1/4" tubes feeding each of the 2 rotors.

                Charlie

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 18, 2013
                  That's terrific Peter, any chance of the numbers for a motor doing 4,300 rpm cruise, 4,700 full power please?

                  Thanks

                  Kev

                  --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, Peter Walker <peterwalker58@...> wrote:

                  > Hello For 2nd order harmonics you need 26" from valve seat to carb It gives 7% increase from 3385 to 3800RPMPeter

                • Peter Walker
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 19, 2013

                    Hello Kevin
                    Input length is 29 inches for 2nd harmonic, RPM range is from 4051 to 4916 with a pulse strength of 10 percent
                    Input length is 21 inchesFor 3rd harmonic, RPM range is from 4203 to 4804 with a pulse strength of 7 percent
                    If you want to build a simple cheap dyno for testing i can help A truck flywheel a microphone and a simple program...
                    Peter

                    --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, Peter Walker wrote:

                    > Hello For 2nd order harmonics you need 26" from valve seat to carb It gives 7% increase from 3385 to 3800RPMPeter

                  • woody king
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 23, 2013
                      Excellent thought, Charlie. I did look but didn't notice any collapse, and they were very stiff new thick hoses. BUT, you are so right. Except the major vaccum would be at idle, and my rpm/power loss was at full throttle. There the vaccum would be very low, but I did not consider the possibility you pointed out. Alot going on. Thanks for the input, I will add that to my "book" of things to remember.  Woody

                      Could you see the hoses while running? Manifold vacuum has the potential to collapse a rubber hose, if it isn't designed to handle vacuum (like the spring in a radiator hose).

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 25, 2013
                        Wonder why Rotax and Robin etc. fit rubber carb mounts to kill vibes getting to the float needle assembly and messing up the mixture, and Briggs/Kohler/Generac don't?

                        A normal installation would see any of these bolted to something heavy iron and not too fussy about fuel burn, but as we hang ours on relatively flimsy lightweight structures, the V-Twin will vibrate much more.

                        Maybe that Czech feller had a point, and longer rubber hoses to a remote mounted carb are beneficial? Probably less chance of an in-flight fire too.

                        Cheers

                        Kev

                      • dagwodzz@bellsouth.net
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 25, 2013
                          They will vibrate even more with rubber mounts.

                          --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, woody king wrote:

                          > Excellent thought, Charlie. I did look but didn't notice any collapse, and they were very stiff new thick hoses. BUT, you are so right. Except the major vaccum would be at idle, and my rpm/power loss was at full throttle. There the vaccum would be very low, but I did not consider the possibility you pointed out. Alot going on. Thanks for the input, I will add that to my "book" of things to remember.  Woody

                        • Peter Walker
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 25, 2013
                            Hello

                            Simple to manufacture
                            Cheap
                            Easy to fit
                            Expensive replacement
                            And it is a bike norm so carbs to suit are easily available
                            Peter

                            Two-stroke vibration would be at a much higher frequency, wouldn't it? And Rotax rubber mounts fail, a lot... Another thought, maybe they use diaphram carbs? I wouldn't know, as I really have to desire to learn about them.
                            Garry

                            --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Kev A" wrote:

                            > Wonder why Rotax and Robin etc. fit rubber carb mounts to kill vibes getting to the float needle assembly and messing up the mixture, and Briggs/Kohler/Generac don't?
                            >
                            > A normal installation would see any of these bolted to something heavy iron and not too fussy about fuel burn, but as we hang ours on relatively flimsy lightweight structures, the V-Twin will vibrate much more.
                            >
                            > Maybe that Czech feller had a point, and longer rubber hoses to a remote mounted carb are beneficial? Probably less chance of an in-flight fire too.
                            >
                            > Cheers
                            >
                            > Kev

                          • John
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 27, 2013
                              Long inlet pipes might actually be beneficial if they could be tuned like an exhaust is tuned. If I were to try this, I would certainly use thin wall metal tubes mounted reasonably firmly and use short rubber couplers to allow the vibration induced movement. It might take several "joints", each bending in an appropriate direction to allow all the necessary degrees of movement.

                              John