Re: Flywheel taper angle; is it 5° please?

  • terry l
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
      I've heard that the engine is 15lb lighter w/o the cooling gear (fan/engine covers), it's a little hard to swallow for me.

      Terry

      --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "invaderdawg" <garrywarber@...> wrote:

      > Hey, good! I run Mobil 1 synthetic. Glad to hear it helps that!
      > Garry
      >
      > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Dagwood" <dagwodzz@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Terry, Tell your friend to run synthetic oil if he is not already.It will lower temps.

    • invaderdawg
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
        My small block weighs 63 pounds without having lightned the flywheel as yet, and before the oil cooler...
        Garry

        --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "terry l" <tllutke52@...> wrote:

        > I've heard that the engine is 15lb lighter w/o the cooling gear (fan/engine covers), it's a little hard to swallow for me.
        >
        > Terry
        >

        > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "invaderdawg" <garrywarber@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey, good! I run Mobil 1 synthetic. Glad to hear it helps that!
        > > Garry
        > >
        > > --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "Dagwood" <dagwodzz@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Terry, Tell your friend to run synthetic oil if he is not already.It will lower temps.

      • woody king
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
          Garry, what engine are you playing with? What was its' original weight? Hp, brand and stuff like that. I know it may be on here, but refresh me as to what you have going on.

          On the taper thing, I made a couple of steel pulleys for the old Paraplane Solo engines, the originals were aluminum and would wear, and with the fixed wood props, it would let the rpm go beyond best power since the belt would seat deeper into the small drive pulleys. Getting the taper right was hard on a less than great lathe runner..... But it worked great, and they run without key, never had any slip. I did lap them some with valve compound at the last, and it seemed to work. May not have needed it, but I did...

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
            I have the smallest of the small block briggs vanguard, the 479cc jobbie from a genset with the tapered shaft. I like the tapered shaft so whatever I make to go on there, prop hub or redrive pulley, can be fit nice and tight and solid. I don't know the original weight, but most of the small blocks are about the same, I suspect. I don't need the power as much as you guys, but I do have an upper weight limit of only 80 pounds, and I'd like to not violate that much, if at all. I may supercharge it, but to begin I am going to play with dual carbs and see what kind of thrust figures I get. Right now I'm just a peanut gallery denizen, because I'm without workspace and establishing a new off-grid homestead...
            Garry

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
              I like the off grid too, not there by any means, but leaning hard that direction. Pretty independant as it is, and getting more so gradually. Great way of life for sure. Good luck and keep us up as it goes. Thanks, Woody