Re: Briggs Engines Horizontal vs Vertical

  • clairco2000
    Message 1 of 39 , Nov 1, 2004
      Sure, Gnat
      A Briggs V-twin horizontal will easily convert to vertical by
      welding up a sump and pickup with a freeze plug and pressing it into
      the vertical sump hole. You will also need to weld up a new manifold
      for the flo-jet, keep it to 7.5 inches. There is just barely enough
      oil mist available in the new configuration to lube the valves so
      outside oilers to the valve covers would be nice. Mount the prop on
      the flywheel end or you will be sorry. This means lathe work for the
      hub. The now horizontal shaft will mount to the firewall easily
      using the original tangs and whatever lord mounts you need. Use an
      oil pressure guage to check out your work, 50 lbs psi @ 3700 rpm.
      NEVER EXCEED MAX REVS. Bendy valves and worse will result. Other
      than that the Intek is pretty robust and thrifty...just not terribly
      useful except for a strict FAR 103, and slow at that.
      And of course, never modify this engine for performance. It is
      just a big (80 lbs) lawnmower engine and should be respected for that
      or else you will be on an expensive, slippery slope that will end up
      with in pile of broken parts. CC

      --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, Gnat <Gnat@S...> wrote:
      > Just curious if anyone knows if it is possible to
      > convert a vertical shaft engine to horizontal ?
      >
      > I'd imagine oil pick up, oil sump/pan and some seals would have to
      change
      > or is there something that can't be changed?
      >
      > Keep seeing far more vertical shaft engines out there and of course
      > the prices are lower as a result. Just wondering if there is a way
      > use one .
      >
      > Dave
    • nutnbolt2002
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 24, 2004
        Clair, can you tell me if all the overhead briggs use a oil pump to
        lube the rockers?....Ted

        --- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "clairco2000"