Re: 74bhp Vee twin

  • seekhumility
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4 6:22 AM
      I found the issue. The plane was a Zephyr II powered by a Honda
      CBR600F3 engine with transmission. It is in the August 2003 issue
      and at that time the engine had 250hrs. on it. The engine makes 105
      hp at 11,500rpm and 40.2 ft/lbs of tq at 10,000rpm. Weighs 136 lbs
      is watercooled. The engine came with starting and charging systems.
      The carbs can self adjust to 10,000ft msl and have thermostat
      controlled heated water to them to prevent icing.

      -- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "seekhumility"
      <seekhumility@y...> wrote:
      > I had read in an article on the virago conversion that the reason
      > for being in second gear was because the factory had not designed
      > the transmission to be run constantly in first gear and would
      fail,
      <SNIP>
    • Kev Armstrong
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4 2:51 PM
        seekhumility wrote:

        > I found the issue. The plane was a Zephyr II powered by a Honda
        > CBR600F3 engine with transmission. It is in the August 2003 issue
        > and at that time the engine had 250hrs. on it. The engine makes 105
        > hp at 11,500rpm and 40.2 ft/lbs of tq at 10,000rpm. Weighs 136 lbs
        > is watercooled. The engine came with starting and charging systems.
        > The carbs can self adjust to 10,000ft msl and have thermostat
        > controlled heated water to them to prevent icing.

        *Smooth four cylinder power at 61.6kilos; this has got to come one
        day. Mine pulls from 3000 to 11,000, but vee twin pulses might be a
        problem, Jeremy is researching Polyvee belts to handle this on his
        Kohler.

        Carb icing is quite a problem on 'bikes, one Jap maker recommends an
        additive, which works, apparently.

        I wonder what the first reduction from crank gear to clutch gear is?
        Is it sufficient to get the prop rpm down to 2,500?

        If so you could envisage a dummy shaft substituted coming out of a
        machined cover via a seal, although is the engine oil pump driven
        from further down the line?

        Kev A
      • herbgh@juno.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4 3:20 PM
          Group

          I think this is a two place plane whose home base in in South Miss or
          South Louisiana? I called and talked to the owner last year after seeing
          the plane , chain drive,clutch and gear shift lever at Lucedale Miss. fly
          in. He is installing a bigger and similar engine in a Pulsar as I
          recall??? Redrive ratio must have been in the range of 3 to 1? Took off
          in 2nd and flew in third or fourth ? Hundreds of hours. Very long chain
          drive!! Herb

          ps the guys at South Missisippi Light Aircraft had his phone number.
          On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:22:07 -0000 "seekhumility"
          <seekhumility@...> writes:

          > I found the issue. The plane was a Zephyr II powered by a Honda
          > CBR600F3 engine with transmission. It is in the August 2003 issue
          > and at that time the engine had 250hrs. on it. The engine makes 105
          >
          > hp at 11,500rpm and 40.2 ft/lbs of tq at 10,000rpm. Weighs 136 lbs
          > is watercooled. The engine came with starting and charging systems.
          >
          > The carbs can self adjust to 10,000ft msl and have thermostat
          > controlled heated water to them to prevent icing.
          >
          > -- In Small4-strokeEngines@yahoogroups.com, "seekhumility"
          > <seekhumility@y...> wrote:
          > > I had read in an article on the virago conversion that the reason
          >
          > > for being in second gear was because the factory had not designed
          >
          > > the transmission to be run constantly in first gear and would
          > fail,
          > <SNIP>

          > --------------------~-->
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/jrDrlB/TM

          > ### Lets use this list to build a knowledge base for those who are
          > interested in flying with these engines. Don't forget you can search
          > the
          > messages archive for past discussions. Please keep comments on
          > subject.
          > Sorry, no attachments allowed.
          >
          > For access to the home page:
          >
          > For direct access to the files area:
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • johnnyfly41
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2005
            Replying to another old post,,,

            A member of our chapter had been flying a 1100cc Yamaha Virago engine
            for years in a Graham Lee bipe. I believe he is driving the prop off
            of the transmission output shaft. As I recall, second gear works best
            for his prop. This plane has a lot of time on it, no major problems.
            I saw the owner today, he is down due to medical reasons right now.

            For what it's worth.

            j.