OPENING NIGHT African Diaspora Film Festival 2009 is 11/27/09 @ 8pm

  • shaimesh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20 7:27 PM
      From: African Diaspora Film Festival info@...
      Friday, 20 November 2009
      OPENING NIGHT ADFF 2009

      Nothing But the TruthCelebrating African Talent in front of and behind the camera during the 2009 African Diaspora Film Festival

      This year was FESPACO year, the festival was held in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso from February 28 to March 7, 2009. The Golden Yennenga Stallion went to "Teza" by Haile Gerima and the Silver Yennenga Stallion was awarded to "Nothing but the Truth" by international ly recognized, multiple award-winning South African actor/director John Kani.

      In "Saturday Night in the Palace" (1987) John Kani's character is a family man who deals with petty and cruel racism with a moral integrity his white tormentors will never understand.  Those of you who remember the South African comedy "Soweto Green" (ADFF 1996) will recall John Kani's sarcastic, dry humor as he gently mocks the fallouts of the end of apartheid.  "Nothing but the Truth," John Kani's latest film, looks at the new South Africa 15 years after the end of apartheid. The character reflects on the human journey Black South Africans have gone through, during apartheid and beyond.  "Nothing but the Truth," John Kani's directorial debut, is a deep and moving film not to be missed.

      John Kani was a prominent figure in the struggle against apartheid, is a survivor of an attempted assassination, a Tony Award winning actor and playwright, and a spokesperson in his country for AIDS awareness and prevention.  "I believe in the power of the word, and I believe in the power of the art" - John Kani.

      It is with great pleasure that we announce the participation in ADFF 2009 Opening Night of lead South African actor Miss Motshabi Tyelele, who performed with John Kani in the film and also performed in the award winning play by the same name.  She will discuss the film and her collaboration with John Kani after the screening.

      "Nothing but the Truth" is distributed in the US by ArtMattan Productions. Details at http ://www.africanfilm.com/newrel.htm.

      "Wole Soyinka: Child of the Forest" by South African/Nigerian actor/director Akin Omotoso, will also screen on Opening Night 2009. Wole Soyinka is not just a writer, he is a militant writer. He belongs to the generation of writers who understood the need for change in the largest sense of the word. He put his literary endeavor to the service of this idea and received international recognition as a result, including the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1986. One is sometimes compelled to look at the lives of Mr. Soyinka and that of Leopold Sedar Senghor, another great African writer, as symbolic of the richness of African literature and ideologies.

      ADFF 2009 Opening Night event will be celebrated on Friday, November 27 at 8:00PM at  Anthology Film Archives (32 Second Ave. @ 2nd St).

      Post screening/discussion catered AFRICAN DANCE PARTY at Bona Fides Restaurant.

      For more details and to view trailers and a TV interview with John Kani click here!

      advance tickets

      ADFF 2009 Opening Night is sponsored by ArtMattan Productions and the South African Consulate in New York.

      Ava & Gabriel

      Give the gift of

      International Entertainment!

      If you cannot come to the African Diaspora Film Festival, the festival can come to you.
      Enjoy with family and friends some of the best films from the African Diaspora Film Festival!!

      Visit www.AfricanDiasporaDVD.com

      Due to technical difficulties, we had to remove your e-mail from our mailing list.

      If you would like to continue receiving e-mails from ArtMattan Productions and the African Diaspora Film Festival

      Join Our E-Mail List Again!