Hurricane Ivan and Blood Pudding

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
      Several months ago we were taking about blood pudding. Would've thunk that
      Hurricane Ivan would give me feast of gourmet riches.

      As some of you know, I am a member of a Croatian ethnic Roman Catholic
      church and am quite active in the parish. In fact I just completed
      preparing a 20 page booklet for the Mass and a confirmation to be
      celebrated at hour by Zagreb Archbsishop and Cardinal Josip Bozanic. It has
      the Mass in parallel English and Croatian text. (PS -- I'll be glad to
      email copies to anyone interested).

      And therein is my adventure:

      Last Friday as the rain was pouring here in Pittsburgh from Hurricane Ivan,
      I was due to go help some people from Bosnia with their PC. They live in
      town of Sharpsburg, just 5 miles northeast of the Pittsburgh along the
      Allegheny river. Traffic was very heavy and I was running late. When I
      arrived at the bottom of the highway ramp for the town, I was met with a
      police roadblock. Sharpsburg was flooding. As I was due to go visit Father
      Gabriel, I turned around and retracing my steps, headed back toward
      Pittsburgh. I arrived there safe and sound.

      After we worked for about 2 hours on the booklet, I went to leave. There
      was no leaving. It is a wonderful thing that St Nicholas is on a hill
      because Millvale, the town at our feet just 50 ft below resembled a lake.
      The water was at least 8 feet deep filling the first floor of the houses
      and business. The road at the base of the hill that would allow access to
      the highway was right at the edge of the flooding was under 3 ft of water
      at the edge of the flood. The other exit route, up Logan Street through
      Troy Hill was closed as the street that runs along the side of the hill had
      washed out. I was literally trapped.

      Father Gabriel, bless him, offered me a bed for the night if need be. This
      looked good as curfews were being declared and major landslides had blocked
      many roads. All the towns along the Allegheny river to the northeast of
      Pittsburgh had suffered some degree of flooding as well as power cuts.
      Businesses along North Avenue in Millvale lost everything.

      By 9.30 PM the water had receded to the point that I could access the
      highway, so I set out. I got home in good time (about 10 minutes). I
      suffered no major damage at my home. I have some rocks and debris outside
      my door as I did apparently have water outside, but it was never deeper
      than 4 inches. Three apartments next to me are not so lucky as they did get
      water in.

      So what does this have to do with blood pudding? Well, Father Gabriel, who
      is from Croatia prepared dinner for us. When he called me into the kitchen,
      he had the impish grin and gleam in his eyes when he's been up to "no
      good". There on the table were two plates each with two large servings of
      blood pudding. With a smile in his voice he asked "When is the last time
      you had any blood pudding?" We sat an consumed our Slavic feast as he told
      me tales of his life in Croatia and we talked about our common heritage as
      Slavs.

      Needless to say, with destruction all around me, I felt quite safe, and
      maybe this connection back to my heritage was a message from grandpap and
      grandma Pavick, that they are watching over and protecting me!

      Tony P
    • fduttry@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
        Hi I would love to have a copy of your mass book. & could you tell me
        how to say God Bless You in Slovak ? Do you know if there is a Slovak
        dictionary ? Thank you & God Bless.

        Fred & Pauline
      • Monika Cernakova
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
            Wow, hope Pittsburgh's all better for the Slovak
            Heritage Festival -- but sounds as if the talk made
            the trip worthwhile.

            Caye

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • agp@telerama.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 26, 2004
              Hello Fred and Pauline

              My apologies for not replying sooner. I have been so busy this past week
              preparing for the visit of the Cardinal that I hardly had time to breathe

              I don't know how to say specifically 'God Bless You' in Slovak, however Na
              zdravie is used when someone sneezes.

              There is a nice website on:

              http://www.slovak.com/language/

              that may help you.

              Barnes and Noble and Borders will have some dictionaries that may interest
              you. A good phrase book is 'Eastern European Phrasebook' from Lonely Planet
              (again available at Barnes and Noble and Borders) that cover really useful
              phrases and words for all the Slavic languages.

              I have saved one of the Mass books for you and will send on to you if you
              send me your postal address,

              Na zdravie!

              Tony Pavick

            • fduttry@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2004
                Hi Tony
                Our address for your mass book is
                Fred & Pauline Duttry
                2948 Rt 219
                Falls Creek Pa
                15840
                God Bless

                Fred & Pauline
              • fduttry@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
                  Hi Tony
                  Recieved your mass book & we thank you kindly. God Bless

                  Fred & Pauline
                • agp@telerama.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
                    You are most welcome. If you are ever in the area please stop by St Nick's
                    to see our murals. They are the work of Croatian artist Maxo Vanko, and
                    intertwine the life of Slavic people in general and Croatians in specific
                    with their strong faith. Of particular interest are the ones depicting the
                    role of the Slavic mother to our common ancestral heritage

                    Tony Pavick