Re: [Slovak-World] OT Russian America

  • agp
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
      Well I just love cold and desolate places so Alaska would be right down my
      alley and up my street. I have traveled up to Churchill Manitoba in
      November to watch polar bears, and found life there to be a most humbling
      and spiritually fulfilling experience. I guess I'm of the opinion that in
      the USA we have have things too easy. In the USA we merely live. In places
      like the arctic, and certainly in the small small village in Slovakia,
      people live to live. There is a considerable differnce between living and
      and living to live. I feel that it is the toughness of spirit amongst
      people who live to live that enabled our people to survive years of
      repression and finally overthrow those who oppressed them.

      Needless to say it is with that view that I look with sadness upon the
      encroachment of cell phones and McDonalds in the hinterland of our
      homeland.

      As usual I'm probably not making any sense when I talk about the way I
      feel about all of this. Its that wild restless spirit inside that defies
      explanation at work.

      Tony P
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
        At 09:35 AM 9/9/04 -0700, you wrote:
        >Ron,
        >
        > Looks like a very cold and desolate place to visit. I cant
        > understand why anyone would want to live in those conditions.

        I myself like to be embraced and snuggled by greenery and hills. But I can
        understand someone else feeling hemmed in by this same environment; I can
        imagine liking or even needing a stripped-down, no frills or frippery
        environment, just oneself and the land and the sky; certainly it would
        entail a very different type of relationship with one's surroundings. Just
        as I feel spiritually wide open and unable to be dishonest with myself in a
        place of worship, I can imagine someone feeling like that in a desert
        or in a "desolate" place like parts of Alaska must be--just totally
        oneself, totally present, just self and environment, no pretensions, no
        fooling oneself. When I go out on a whale watch and get just out of sight
        of land, and I see lobstermen (I think) in their little boats bobbing about
        on the water and pulling in traps, I think they're in the same type of
        environment....man, it's just them on the little boat, the water, and the
        sky, and to me it looks pretty bare, but some of them think it's pretty
        special.

        Just my 2 koruny....

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • brieuc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
          Had to add my two-cents-worth. We've made a number of trips to Ron's
          beautiful, wild Alaska and, as a result, we envy Ron being able to live is such a
          spectacular place. Then we spent some weeks in Antarctica, an even wilder spot.
          There are folks who can't begin to understand why anyone in their right mind
          would go to Antarctica, but everyone I've ever talked to who has gone there
          would go back in an instant if the chance arose. It's like going to another
          world entirely and makes you appreciate your own much more. Of the 13 trips
          I've taken to various parts of the world, Antarctica rates second of all.

          Laverne
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
            John,

            That is part of what makes Alaska special. We are as close to heaven
            as can be - just look at the temperatures and you see we are far, far
            from hell - unless it goes to the devil and freezes over!

            They say -40 keeps the riff-raff out, and it seems to be true.

            I do recommend summer visits unless you come up for a winter festival.

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, john peterson <area982000@y...>
            wrote:
            > Caye,
            >
            > I understand what you are saying, and I have traveled
            extensively, but I don't need to travel to hell to know it is not a
            place I would want to visit.

            > John
            >
            > Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...> wrote:
            >
            > John:
            >
            > That's the beauty . . . which, of course, is in the
            > eye of the beholder. There are a lot of folks with a
            > hightened sense of adventure, and the freedom to
            > explore. Travel expands -- go somewhere completely
            > different and you'll begin to see for yourself.
            >

            > Caye
            >

            > --- john peterson <area982000@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > Ron,
            > >
            > > Looks like a very cold and desolate place to
            > > visit. I cant understand why anyone would want to
            > > live in those conditions.
            > >
            > > John
            > >
            > > amiak27 <rmat@p...> wrote:
            > > Ok, Ego and Caye's interest in Alaska got to be too
            > > much, so I
            > > uploaded a few photos of Russian America (Alaska) at
            > > the Slovak-World
            > > website http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/
            > > I hope. Sign in,
            > > click on "Photos" to the left and then look for the
            > > album "Russ
            > > America". I will leave it there a week or two and
            > > then erase it.
            > >
            > > These are photos from two of my trips to Nikolski,
            > > an Aleut village
            > > in the Aleutian islands. It is a magnificently
            > > beautiful place and a
            > > bit tough to get into and out of on occasion. MY
            > > first visit was in
            > > 1999 and I spent three days going and coming back -
            > > all so I could
            > > spend a half an hour on the ground before the
            > > weather closed in and I
            > > ran back to the airplane - which had its motors
            > > running...
            > >
            > > This last visit was far more pleasant, with two
            > > overnights. Half a
            > > day was spent flying each way, and I mentioned
            > > getting turned around
            > > meant about 9 hours in the small plane.
            > >
            > > Why is it worth it? The job for one, but mainly for
            > > the history and
            > > the beauty. Nikolski is perhaps the oldest, longest
            > > continuously
            > > settled area in North America. 9,000 or 10,000
            > > years, give or take a
            > > century. It has a beautiful Russian Orthodox church
            > > and some very
            > > fine people living in the village. This seems to be
            > > the best of
            > > Russian America that I have seen. The photos of the
            > > local volcano
            > > and some more distant glaciers show how rugged the
            > > land is.
            > > Happy tourism!
            > >
            > > Ron
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            > > removed]

            > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.

          • john peterson
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
              Julie,

              Its not that it is a desolate place, or one of solitude, but rather one of bleakness and nothingness. The pictures Ron provided showed nothing interesting, no eye candy at at all. I would enjoy being alone in a vast forest, but to be in a place with no trees, or anything that resembles something other than the moon, I am not interested in. I spent a year in Iceland, and it was less bleek than the Pic that Ron posted and I hated the lack of greenery. There is some parts of Alaska that are beautiful, and I would not mind living in, but the pics he provided looked more like the surface of the moon.

              John

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
                  I'd suggest a visit to Fairbanks in mid-January to
                  really appreciate cold. And then a visit to any place
                  in Alsaka in June.

                  Dr. "Q"

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • john peterson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 11, 2004
                    Ron,

                    As a matter of fact, because of the tilt of the earth, you are further away from heaven half of the year as compared to someone on the equator. One mans hell is hot, anothers is cold, I detest cold and therefore would not enjoy dark dreary days of Alaska winter. I have lived for a year north of where you are, and other than the northern lights, I couldnt wait to get to a warmer climate. But, thats just my opinion.

                    John

                    --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > the beauty. Nikolski is perhaps the oldest,
                    > longest
                    > > > continuously
                    > > > settled area in North America. 9,000 or 10,000
                    > > > years, give or take a
                    > > > century. It has a beautiful Russian Orthodox
                    > church
                    > > > and some very
                    > > > fine people living in the village. This seems
                    > to be
                    > > > the best of
                    > > > Russian America that I have seen. The photos of
                    > the
                    > > > local volcano
                    > > > and some more distant glaciers show how rugged
                    > the
                    > > > land is.
                    > > > Happy tourism!
                    > > >
                    > > > Ron

                    > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                    > > > removed]

                    > > Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT