OT Russian America

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 8, 2004
      Ok, Ego and Caye's interest in Alaska got to be too much, so I
      uploaded a few photos of Russian America (Alaska) at the Slovak-World
      website http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/ I hope. Sign in,
      click on "Photos" to the left and then look for the album "Russ
      America". I will leave it there a week or two and then erase it.

      These are photos from two of my trips to Nikolski, an Aleut village
      in the Aleutian islands. It is a magnificently beautiful place and a
      bit tough to get into and out of on occasion. MY first visit was in
      1999 and I spent three days going and coming back - all so I could
      spend a half an hour on the ground before the weather closed in and I
      ran back to the airplane - which had its motors running...

      This last visit was far more pleasant, with two overnights. Half a
      day was spent flying each way, and I mentioned getting turned around
      meant about 9 hours in the small plane.

      Why is it worth it? The job for one, but mainly for the history and
      the beauty. Nikolski is perhaps the oldest, longest continuously
      settled area in North America. 9,000 or 10,000 years, give or take a
      century. It has a beautiful Russian Orthodox church and some very
      fine people living in the village. This seems to be the best of
      Russian America that I have seen. The photos of the local volcano
      and some more distant glaciers show how rugged the land is.
      Happy tourism!

      Ron
    • john peterson
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 9, 2004
        Ron,

        Looks like a very cold and desolate place to visit. I cant understand why anyone would want to live in those conditions.

        John

        amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Dr. Joe Q
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 9, 2004
          I spent a summer in 1961 at Cold Bay (714th AC&W
          Squadron [Aircraft Control and Warning]) working on
          the "DEW" line extension. I remember we had an active
          volcano nearby , perhaps 50 miles away. The closest
          mountain to Cold Bay was Mount Frosty. Cape Sarichef,
          Unalaska (Driftwood), Port Heiden, Port Moller, and
          Nikolski were the other sites in the chain.

          I also spent a summer at Cape Lisbourne at the 711th
          AC&W. And was at Barter Island for another summer.

          I think all of the Cold Bay (714th AC&W) sites have
          been abandoned.

          It is spectacular country and the tides at Cold Bay
          are treacherous.

          Thank you for the pictures.

          Dr. "Q"

          http://shopping.yahoo.com/backtoschool
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
            John:

            That's the beauty . . . which, of course, is in the
            eye of the beholder. There are a lot of folks with a
            hightened sense of adventure, and the freedom to
            explore. Travel expands -- go somewhere completely
            different and you'll begin to see for yourself.

            Caye

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • john peterson
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
              Caye,

              I understand what you are saying, and I have traveled extensively, but I don't need to travel to hell to know it is not a place I would want to visit.

              John

            • slocrobear
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
                So much of Russian-America has been destroyed by the US government.
                Starting in WW II, many of the islands saw the forced migration of
                their inhabitants to the larger island and to mainland Alaska. The
                villages have been looted and destroyed by the Military. There is an
                excellent video that has been done by the Orthodox Church in America
                showing these villages and the churches that have been desecrated.

                There are a number of Alaskan representatives who are trying to get
                the US government to pay reparations to those who were forced to re-
                locate and trying to get the Government to return many of the ikons
                and other religious items that have "disappeared" during the
                Government's tenure of the land.

                I believe in the town of Nikolski there was an elderly lady who
                remembers traveling to Siberia by kayak with other members of her
                family to trade with the Aleutes living there. This was pre-1917. I
                remember reading an article about her.

                jmht...

                mark

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:
                > Ok, Ego and Caye's interest in Alaska got to be too much, so I
                > uploaded a few photos of Russian America (Alaska) at the Slovak-
                World
                > website http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/ I hope. Sign
                in,
                > click on "Photos" to the left and then look for the album "Russ
                > America". I will leave it there a week or two and then erase it.
                >
                > These are photos from two of my trips to Nikolski, an Aleut village
                > in the Aleutian islands. It is a magnificently beautiful place and
                > bit tough to get into and out of on occasion. MY first visit was
                in
                > 1999 and I spent three days going and coming back - all so I could
                > spend a half an hour on the ground before the weather closed in and
                > ran back to the airplane - which had its motors running...
                >
                > This last visit was far more pleasant, with two overnights. Half a
                > day was spent flying each way, and I mentioned getting turned
                around
                > meant about 9 hours in the small plane.
                >
                > Why is it worth it? The job for one, but mainly for the history
                and
                > the beauty. Nikolski is perhaps the oldest, longest continuously
                > settled area in North America. 9,000 or 10,000 years, give or take
                > century. It has a beautiful Russian Orthodox church and some very
                > fine people living in the village. This seems to be the best of
                > Russian America that I have seen. The photos of the local volcano
                > and some more distant glaciers show how rugged the land is.
                > Happy tourism!
                >
                > Ron
              • agp
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
                  Well I just love cold and desolate places so Alaska would be right down my
                  alley and up my street. I have traveled up to Churchill Manitoba in
                  November to watch polar bears, and found life there to be a most humbling
                  and spiritually fulfilling experience. I guess I'm of the opinion that in
                  the USA we have have things too easy. In the USA we merely live. In places
                  like the arctic, and certainly in the small small village in Slovakia,
                  people live to live. There is a considerable differnce between living and
                  and living to live. I feel that it is the toughness of spirit amongst
                  people who live to live that enabled our people to survive years of
                  repression and finally overthrow those who oppressed them.

                  Needless to say it is with that view that I look with sadness upon the
                  encroachment of cell phones and McDonalds in the hinterland of our
                  homeland.

                  As usual I'm probably not making any sense when I talk about the way I
                  feel about all of this. Its that wild restless spirit inside that defies
                  explanation at work.

                  Tony P
                • J. Michutka
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
                    At 09:35 AM 9/9/04 -0700, you wrote:
                    >Ron,
                    >
                    > Looks like a very cold and desolate place to visit. I cant
                    > understand why anyone would want to live in those conditions.

                    I myself like to be embraced and snuggled by greenery and hills. But I can
                    understand someone else feeling hemmed in by this same environment; I can
                    imagine liking or even needing a stripped-down, no frills or frippery
                    environment, just oneself and the land and the sky; certainly it would
                    entail a very different type of relationship with one's surroundings. Just
                    as I feel spiritually wide open and unable to be dishonest with myself in a
                    place of worship, I can imagine someone feeling like that in a desert
                    or in a "desolate" place like parts of Alaska must be--just totally
                    oneself, totally present, just self and environment, no pretensions, no
                    fooling oneself. When I go out on a whale watch and get just out of sight
                    of land, and I see lobstermen (I think) in their little boats bobbing about
                    on the water and pulling in traps, I think they're in the same type of
                    environment....man, it's just them on the little boat, the water, and the
                    sky, and to me it looks pretty bare, but some of them think it's pretty
                    special.

                    Just my 2 koruny....

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...
                  • brieuc@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
                      Had to add my two-cents-worth. We've made a number of trips to Ron's
                      beautiful, wild Alaska and, as a result, we envy Ron being able to live is such a
                      spectacular place. Then we spent some weeks in Antarctica, an even wilder spot.
                      There are folks who can't begin to understand why anyone in their right mind
                      would go to Antarctica, but everyone I've ever talked to who has gone there
                      would go back in an instant if the chance arose. It's like going to another
                      world entirely and makes you appreciate your own much more. Of the 13 trips
                      I've taken to various parts of the world, Antarctica rates second of all.

                      Laverne
                    • amiak27
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
                        John,

                        That is part of what makes Alaska special. We are as close to heaven
                        as can be - just look at the temperatures and you see we are far, far
                        from hell - unless it goes to the devil and freezes over!

                        They say -40 keeps the riff-raff out, and it seems to be true.

                        I do recommend summer visits unless you come up for a winter festival.

                        Ron

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, john peterson <area982000@y...>

                        Service.

                      • john peterson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
                          Julie,

                          Its not that it is a desolate place, or one of solitude, but rather one of bleakness and nothingness. The pictures Ron provided showed nothing interesting, no eye candy at at all. I would enjoy being alone in a vast forest, but to be in a place with no trees, or anything that resembles something other than the moon, I am not interested in. I spent a year in Iceland, and it was less bleek than the Pic that Ron posted and I hated the lack of greenery. There is some parts of Alaska that are beautiful, and I would not mind living in, but the pics he provided looked more like the surface of the moon.

                          John

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 10, 2004
                              I'd suggest a visit to Fairbanks in mid-January to
                              really appreciate cold. And then a visit to any place
                              in Alsaka in June.

                              Dr. "Q"

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • john peterson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 11, 2004
                                Ron,

                                As a matter of fact, because of the tilt of the earth, you are further away from heaven half of the year as compared to someone on the equator. One mans hell is hot, anothers is cold, I detest cold and therefore would not enjoy dark dreary days of Alaska winter. I have lived for a year north of where you are, and other than the northern lights, I couldnt wait to get to a warmer climate. But, thats just my opinion.

                                John

                                --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > > > the beauty. Nikolski is perhaps the oldest,
                                > longest
                                > > > continuously
                                > > > settled area in North America. 9,000 or 10,000
                                > > > years, give or take a
                                > > > century. It has a beautiful Russian Orthodox
                                > church
                                > > > and some very
                                > > > fine people living in the village. This seems
                                > to be
                                > > > the best of
                                > > > Russian America that I have seen. The photos of
                                > the
                                > > > local volcano
                                > > > and some more distant glaciers show how rugged
                                > the
                                > > > land is.
                                > > > Happy tourism!
                                > > >
                                > > > Ron

                                > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                                > > > removed]

                                > > Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT