Ease of doing business

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2004
      According to today's World Bank report, Slovakia is one of the world's two
      most successful investment climate reformers. The WB now ranks it as the
      18th country in the world in terms of ease of doing business. Within
      Europe, it follows the northern EU countries and Switzerland, and is ahead
      of, e.g., Germany, France, Italy and Austria.

      1 New Zealand
      2 United States
      3 Singapore
      4 Hong Kong/China
      5 Australia
      [...]
      18 SLOVAKIA

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • gergely
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2004
        That's good news.

        Their flat tax system seems awfully appealing.

        Jack Gergely

        According to today's World Bank report, Slovakia is one of the world's two
        most successful investment climate reformers. The WB now ranks it as the
        18th country in the world in terms of ease of doing business. Within
        Europe, it follows the northern EU countries and Switzerland, and is ahead
        of, e.g., Germany, France, Italy and Austria.

        1 New Zealand
        2 United States
        3 Singapore
        4 Hong Kong/China
        5 Australia
        [...]
        18 SLOVAKIA

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9, 2004
          At 12:02 PM 9/8/04 -0400, you wrote:
          >According to today's World Bank report, Slovakia is one of the world's two
          >most successful investment climate reformers. The WB now ranks it as the
          >18th country in the world in terms of ease of doing business.

          On my first trip to Slovakia, in 2000, I heard that it is very difficult
          for people to start their own businesses. Was that true then, is it true
          now? In other words, does the World Bank report only take into account how
          easy it is for foreign firms to invest in doing business in Slovakia, or
          does it reflect the situation for everyone from the individual Slovak
          entrepreneur to the huge sophisticated corporation with money and lawyers
          at its disposal?

          Just curious,

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2004
            > in 2000, I heard that it is very difficult for people to start their own
            > businesses. Was that true then, is it true now? In other words, does
            > the World Bank report only take into account how easy it is for foreign
            > firms to invest in doing business in Slovakia, or does it reflect the
            > situation for everyone

            The World Bank's ratings reflect the changes done since then, Julie,
            namely the situation in the past year. Theoretically, it should be the
            same for everyone -- e.g, there was a new law that shortened the time
            within which a new business application must to be approved by the
            authorities. But, e.g., it also increased capital requirements for
            companies that want to incorporate, etc. Sociologists say and opinion
            polls confirm that most Slovaks present and perhaps perceive their
            situation as substantially worse than it actually is, so it's not easy to
            find out how things really are. It's always doom and gloom when the
            discussion turns to incomes, prices, government and politics in Slovakia.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
              The World Bank has released its annual rankings of how easy it is to
              do business in 175 countries. Slovakia is #36. Singapore is at the
              top, the US is #3. Among its neighbors, Slovakia is behind Austria
              (30), but ahead of everyone else (Czech R. - 52; Hungary - 66; Poland
              75; Ukraine - 128).

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu