FW: press release

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2004
      From the Embassy....

      On August 31, 2004 we officially bade farewell to a important member of our
      embassy team, our Cultural and Science Counsellor, Igor Otcenas. Mr. Otcenas
      will finish his four-year tour of duty in Washington and will open the next
      chapter of his professional life as a regular employee of the Ministry of
      Foreign Affairs in Bratislava.

      For the past four years, Mr. Otcenas has worked extensively with many
      high-profile Slovak artists who have come to perform or exhibit at the new
      Slovak chancery in Washington.

      Mr. Otcenas conceived the idea to establish a chancery gallery dedicated to
      Koloman Sokol, the most prominent Slovak artist of the 20th century. The
      gallery was opened in December 10, 2002 on the occasion of Mr.Sokol¹s 100th
      birthday. Since then the gallery has provided space for many Slovak
      contemporary artists.

      Thanks to his tireless efforts, the Embassy invited the following Slovak
      artists to the United States in order to introduce them or their work to the
      American public: Peter Dvorsky, Sergej Kopcak, Miroslav Cipar, Michaela
      Trizuljakova, Tana Hojcova, Laco Teren, Elena Letnanova, Roman Feder and the
      Funny Fellows, Yuri Dojc, prof. Eva Blahova, Marian Vojtko, Jan Kuric and
      his rock band Vidiek, Stanislav Stepka and Radosinske naivne divadlo, Sisa
      Sklovska, Juraj Poliak, Milan Sladek, Jozef Luptak, Peter Breiner, Jozef
      “Danglar³ Gertli, Koloman Kertesz-Bagala, Ivan Siller, Andrea Dudasova, Robo
      Kocan, Peter Ronai, Dusan Trancik, Miso Suchy, Andrej Ban, Martin Kollar,
      Marek Kubos, Peter and Katka Kerekes, Stefan Sarogh, Juraj Kralik and
      Vladislav Rostoka, Rudo Sikora, Alex Mlynarcik, Marian Lapsansky, Pavol
      Melus, Peter Bielik, Robo Kirchhoff, Jan Salay, Jozef Malik.

      The Embassy also hosted Slovak-American artists and performers Craig Cahoon,
      Eleanor Kotlarik-Wang, Monika Gabriny Rokus, Kitty Klaidman, Gabriel Ariel
      Levicky,Rasto Brezny and Ernest Strednansky.

      One very special guest of the Embassy during Mr. OtcenasΠtenure was Mr.Bob
      Brozman, the American guitar virtuoso and frequent visitor to Slovakia,
      whose performance on a special steel guitar called “dobro³ greatly enriched
      the June 2001 program in honor of the opening of the embassy.

      Mr. Otcenas also coordinated the performances of some prestigious choirs in
      the United States such as the Bratislava Conservatory Chamber Choir, the
      Bratislava Boy¹s Choir and The Children¹s Choir of Bratislava.

      Performances by the folk ensembles Raslavican, Sarisan and Kysucka Muzicka
      have charmed the hearts and minds of not only the Slovak-American community
      but also those for whom seeing these groups was a brand-new experience.

      Recently, Mr. Otcenas was a driving force behind the opening of a new
      long-term exhibit of Slovak contemporary art “Perfect tense³ under the
      curatorship of Dr. Zora Carrier. This show displays almost 100 works by
      Slovak artists done between 1970 and 2003.

      Mr. Otcenas will be replaced by Mrs. Stella Kukuckova from the First
      Territorial Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

      press
    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2004
        Igor Otcenas has a neat name. Otcenas means "our father". Julia M.

        On Tuesday, August 31, 2004, at 04:07 PM, Gregory J Kopchak wrote:

        > From the Embassy....
        >
        > On August 31, 2004 we officially bade farewell to a important member
        > of our
        > embassy team, our Cultural and Science Counsellor, Igor Otcenas. Mr.
        > Otcenas
        > will finish his four-year tour of duty in Washington and will open the
        > next
        > chapter of his professional life as a regular employee of the Ministry
        > of
        > Foreign Affairs in Bratislava.
      • slocrobear
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
          Ahoj gang!

          Did anyone else notice that Helene's Exhibit of Kroje was not EVEN
          mentioned?

          Does this say something about how the Embassy feels about our beloved
          KROJE?

          just wondering....

          marko

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@i...>