Hecla's History (Southwest, PA)

  • rmizikar
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2004
      Anyone having Slovak roots in the southwestern PA mining town of Hecla (near
      Mt. Pleasant, PA) may be interested in the following information.

      The Ladies Auxiliary of the Hecla Volunteer Fire Department has published a
      50th Anniversary Booklet that includes a 34-page history of the town of
      Hecla (officially known as Southwest, PA 15685).

      The booklet contains information and many photographs pertaining to the
      mining operations beginning in the 1880's (Hecla Mines #1 and #3), immigrant
      workers & their families (many of them Slovaks), housing (on Goat Hill),
      schools, and daily life etc.

      It also includes a list of surnames of people living in the small town from
      the late 1800's--2004 and also a wonderful list of nicknames of current and
      past residents!

      The booklet would make a wonderful gift for someone originally from the
      town. I purchased my copy from the editor Jane Kosack Crosby.

      Copies are still available for $12 plus $3 S&H by contacting:

      Jane Kosack Crosby
      RR #1, Box 80
      Mt. Pleasant, PA 15666
      (724) 424-1983

      Juanita Mizikar

      ---
      [This E-mail scanned by Citizens Internet Services with Declude Virus.]