Re: sounds of silence

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 7, 2004
      >p.s. Speaking of stuffed cabbage - I've had many, but my favorite is
      from Gladys Tabor's "Stillmeadow Cookbook". Gladys died about ten
      years ago, but her cookbook lives on. She wasn't a Slovak, but her
      recipe for halupki is the best I've ever had.<

      We haven't had them for months but we bought a head of cabbage last
      Friday and since we've cooled off to the low 90's we plan to have
      them tomorrow. It was chili this evening and holupki tomorrow. For a
      while we made them using Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and green chili to
      give them a bit of a zip but we've returned to the original family
      recipe. We like them with sauteed sweet onions. Anyone have non-
      traditional holupki recipes they enjoy or have tried?

      RU
    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2004
        In a message dated 8/8/2004 12:39:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        sandman6294@... writes:

        > We like them with sauteed sweet onions

        When eating pierogis, we put sauteed sweet onions over them with just an ever
        so slight few drops of squeezed lemon juice. the lemon juice gives the
        onions a nice flavor

      • Paul Wolsko
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2004
          The holupki recipe I use calls for the addition of a dozen gingersnap
          cookies and a dozen bay leafs along with the requisite crushed
          tomatoes. The cookie thing sounds weird, but it's very good. The house
          smelled as if it would explode, last night, if a match were lit.

          Paul

        • Taoz@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2004
            John,
            I disagree to some extent. If this room was so energized by the political
            fighting, why were there so many complaints to Kopchak that he shut them down?
            There had to be a lot of people who were fed up with all that was going on.
            I was one of them. It was not as much the political wordage but the name
            calling it invoked. That kind of stuff we don't need here. I was about ready to
            pull out of this group when finally it was stopped.
            That's just one guy's opinion.
            Pavel

          • Dr. Joe Q
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 9, 2004
              For all the flavor they impart, you can substitute a
              piece of cardboard for a bay leaf! However, it is
              unusual to not remove the bay leaves before serving
              the dish - - - kind of hard to do when they are in the
              stuffing.

              Dr. "Q"

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • john peterson
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 9, 2004
                Dr Q

                I beg to differ with you on your opinion concerning bay leafs. Although they have no real flavor of their own, their real benefit is that they bring out the flavors in the other ingredients, and that is why cooks use bay leafs and remove them prior to serving.

                John

                --- David <humblebe@...> wrote:

                > Paul...good buddy: With out being offensive...that
                > holupki recipe is weird
                > as they get. With a dozen bay leafs, the chances of
                > cutting your gizzard
                > from top to bottom with them is a possibility. In
                > fact, when my wife uses
                > any bay leaves for stuff you are supposed to use
                > them with, I would bet my
                > last buck that they will end up on my plate.
                > Gingersnaps? You probably live
                > in a gingerbread house?
                > Dave
                >
                > At 08:46 AM 8/8/2004 -0400, you wrote:
                > >The holupki recipe I use calls for the addition of
                > a dozen gingersnap
                > >cookies and a dozen bay leafs along with the
                > requisite crushed
                > >tomatoes. The cookie thing sounds weird, but it's
                > very good. The house
                > >smelled as if it would explode, last night, if a
                > match were lit.
                > >
                > >Paul

                > many, but my favorite is
                > > >>

                > > >from Gladys Tabor's "Stillmeadow Cookbook".
                > Gladys died about ten
                > > >years ago, but her cookbook lives on. She wasn't
                > a Slovak, but her
                > > >recipe for halupki is the best I've ever had.<
                > > >
                > > >We haven't had them for months but we bought a
                > head of cabbage last
                > > >Friday and since we've cooled off to the low 90's
                > we plan to have
                > > >them tomorrow. It was chili this evening and
                > holupki tomorrow. For a
                > > >while we made them using Ro*Tel diced tomatoes
                > and green chili to
                > > >give them a bit of a zip but we've returned to
                > the original family
                > > >recipe. We like them with sauteed sweet onions.
                > Anyone have non-
                > > >traditional holupki recipes they enjoy or have
                > tried?
                > > >
                > > >RU
                > > >

                > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
                > removed]
                > >

                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Matchett
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 9, 2004
                  I use bay leaves a lot. One time I forgot and blended it with the
                  cauliflower soup I was making. Took a long time picking out the
                  particles! There are a lot of bay trees here in Florida. I have to
                  rely on my husband to identify the correct bay tree (for cooking) while
                  we're hiking. Then I pick a nice batch.

                  Ginger snaps are usually in the gravy for sauerbraten. Will try it
                  with stuffed cabbage. Julia M.

                  > I beg to differ with you on your opinion concerning bay leafs.
                  > Although they have no real flavor of their own, their real benefit is
                  > that they bring out the flavors in the other ingredients, and that is
                  > why cooks use bay leafs and remove them prior to serving.
                  >
                  > John
                • David
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 9, 2004