Re: [Slovak-World] sounds of silence

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 7, 2004
      Tonight we had an "American" meal, turkey soup. The
      chances for an flatulent episode with that fair is
      very low.

      Best wishes and perhaps "Beano" may help.

      Dr. "Q"

      --- Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...> wrote:

      > There have always been ebbs and flows with this
      > group; perhaps it's
      > because there are no holidays on the immediate
      > horizon that spark the
      > ever-popular food talk. Could be that everyone's
      > out mowng the grass -
      > COLD here in New Jersey, so it was a good day to do
      > it...and great day
      > to cook.
      >
      > I'm making stuffed cabbage for dinner tonight. Gas
      > tomorrow...
      >
      > Paul Wolsko
      > NJ
      >
      > p.s. Speaking of stuffed cabbage - I've had many,
      > but my favorite is
      > from Gladys Tabor's "Stillmeadow Cookbook". Gladys
      > died about ten years
      > ago, but her cookbook lives on. She wasn't a
      > Slovak, but her recipe for
      > halupki is the best I've ever had. I make enough
      > for an army in a 16
      > quart cauldron, simmer it for many hours and then
      > we've got lots of
      > leftovers for the kids when they visit (well kid -
      > one son loves it, the
      > other won't touch it).

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 7, 2004
        >p.s. Speaking of stuffed cabbage - I've had many, but my favorite is
        from Gladys Tabor's "Stillmeadow Cookbook". Gladys died about ten
        years ago, but her cookbook lives on. She wasn't a Slovak, but her
        recipe for halupki is the best I've ever had.<

        We haven't had them for months but we bought a head of cabbage last
        Friday and since we've cooled off to the low 90's we plan to have
        them tomorrow. It was chili this evening and holupki tomorrow. For a
        while we made them using Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and green chili to
        give them a bit of a zip but we've returned to the original family
        recipe. We like them with sauteed sweet onions. Anyone have non-
        traditional holupki recipes they enjoy or have tried?

        RU
      • krejc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2004
          In a message dated 8/8/2004 12:39:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          sandman6294@... writes:

          > We like them with sauteed sweet onions

          When eating pierogis, we put sauteed sweet onions over them with just an ever
          so slight few drops of squeezed lemon juice. the lemon juice gives the
          onions a nice flavor

        • Paul Wolsko
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2004
            The holupki recipe I use calls for the addition of a dozen gingersnap
            cookies and a dozen bay leafs along with the requisite crushed
            tomatoes. The cookie thing sounds weird, but it's very good. The house
            smelled as if it would explode, last night, if a match were lit.

            Paul

          • Taoz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2004
              John,
              I disagree to some extent. If this room was so energized by the political
              fighting, why were there so many complaints to Kopchak that he shut them down?
              There had to be a lot of people who were fed up with all that was going on.
              I was one of them. It was not as much the political wordage but the name
              calling it invoked. That kind of stuff we don't need here. I was about ready to
              pull out of this group when finally it was stopped.
              That's just one guy's opinion.
              Pavel

            • Dr. Joe Q
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 9, 2004
                For all the flavor they impart, you can substitute a
                piece of cardboard for a bay leaf! However, it is
                unusual to not remove the bay leaves before serving
                the dish - - - kind of hard to do when they are in the
                stuffing.

                Dr. "Q"

              • john peterson
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 9, 2004
                  Dr Q

                  I beg to differ with you on your opinion concerning bay leafs. Although they have no real flavor of their own, their real benefit is that they bring out the flavors in the other ingredients, and that is why cooks use bay leafs and remove them prior to serving.

                  John

                  --- David <humblebe@...> wrote:

                  > Paul...good buddy: With out being offensive...that
                  > holupki recipe is weird
                  > as they get. With a dozen bay leafs, the chances of
                  > cutting your gizzard
                  > from top to bottom with them is a possibility. In
                  > fact, when my wife uses
                  > any bay leaves for stuff you are supposed to use
                  > them with, I would bet my
                  > last buck that they will end up on my plate.
                  > Gingersnaps? You probably live
                  > in a gingerbread house?
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > At 08:46 AM 8/8/2004 -0400, you wrote:
                  > >The holupki recipe I use calls for the addition of
                  > a dozen gingersnap
                  > >cookies and a dozen bay leafs along with the
                  > requisite crushed
                  > >tomatoes. The cookie thing sounds weird, but it's
                  > very good. The house
                  > >smelled as if it would explode, last night, if a
                  > match were lit.
                  > >
                  > >Paul

                  > many, but my favorite is
                  > > >>

                  > > >from Gladys Tabor's "Stillmeadow Cookbook".
                  > Gladys died about ten
                  > > >years ago, but her cookbook lives on. She wasn't
                  > a Slovak, but her
                  > > >recipe for halupki is the best I've ever had.<
                  > > >
                  > > >We haven't had them for months but we bought a
                  > head of cabbage last
                  > > >Friday and since we've cooled off to the low 90's
                  > we plan to have
                  > > >them tomorrow. It was chili this evening and
                  > holupki tomorrow. For a
                  > > >while we made them using Ro*Tel diced tomatoes
                  > and green chili to
                  > > >give them a bit of a zip but we've returned to
                  > the original family
                  > > >recipe. We like them with sauteed sweet onions.
                  > Anyone have non-
                  > > >traditional holupki recipes they enjoy or have
                  > tried?
                  > > >
                  > > >RU
                  > > >

                  > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
                  > removed]
                  > >

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Matchett
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 9, 2004
                    I use bay leaves a lot. One time I forgot and blended it with the
                    cauliflower soup I was making. Took a long time picking out the
                    particles! There are a lot of bay trees here in Florida. I have to
                    rely on my husband to identify the correct bay tree (for cooking) while
                    we're hiking. Then I pick a nice batch.

                    Ginger snaps are usually in the gravy for sauerbraten. Will try it
                    with stuffed cabbage. Julia M.

                    > I beg to differ with you on your opinion concerning bay leafs.
                    > Although they have no real flavor of their own, their real benefit is
                    > that they bring out the flavors in the other ingredients, and that is
                    > why cooks use bay leafs and remove them prior to serving.
                    >
                    > John
                  • David
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 9, 2004