Invention From Back Home

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2004
      At work we have a Daily Memo with relevant facts --
      and a Fact of The Day . . . today's was . . .

      A new type of concrete that is translucent has been
      developed. It's not clear like glass, but allows light
      to penetrate it, so that the shadow of a person
      standing in front of it can be seen from the other
      side. In the future, it might be used for places
      where you would want light to come through. For
      instance, used in a stairwell, it could be a lifesaver
      in case of fire or power outage. People trying to
      escape a dark building could still have light from
      outside to see by. It could also be used to provide
      daylight for underground structures, like subway
      systems. Plus, it's also more attractive than regular
      concrete. In Stockholm, where a translucent concrete
      sidewalk already has been demonstrated, the sidewalk
      can be illuminated by underground lights at night.
      It's made by mixing glass fibers into the usual
      mixture of crushed stone, cement, and water. The
      process was developed by Aron Losonczi, a Hungarian
      architect, in 2001.

      Well, some of Slovakia was once Hungary -- so it's not
      exactly OT -- anyhow, for what it's worth.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
        wrote:
        .......In Stockholm, where a translucent concrete
        > sidewalk already has been demonstrated, the sidewalk
        > can be illuminated by underground lights at night.
        > It's made by mixing glass fibers into the usual
        > mixture of crushed stone, cement, and water. The
        > process was developed by Aron Losonczi, a Hungarian
        > architect, in 2001.
        >
        > Well, some of Slovakia was once Hungary -- so it's not
        > exactly OT -- anyhow, for what it's worth.
        >

        > Caye

        It could make for some interesting silhouettes on outside walls at
        night. Kind of reminds me of the Art Deco glass blocks they used in
        the 30's and early 40's I believe.

        Rozprávkový Uspávac^ - RU