60th anniversary of the SNU

  • pjdowns
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
      The American embassy in Slovakia is translating my book, World War
      II: OSS Tragedy in Slovakia, ISBN 0971748209, into Slovak and
      publishing a few thousand copies. They are bringing me to Bratislava
      and Banska Bystrica to make two book-presentations (in English, I am
      sorry to say). People visiting Slovakia may be interested in
      attending the first function at the American embassy on August 26. I
      can't guarantee invitations, but I can recommend people to the staff
      running the event.

      Also, there is a huge celebration in Banska Bystrica on the 30th and
      31st. The president and prime minister of Slovakia will be speaking.
      It is possible that one of the U.S. veterans who was there in 1944
      also will speak. There is a historical symposium on the Uprising
      featuring Slovak (and other) historians. I will be making two short
      presentations. There still are a lot of Marxist-Leninist historians
      around. Should be interesting.

      Please contact me if anyone needs additional information. The U.S.
      embassy is working hard to organize their small part of the program.
      A number of WW II American veterans will be attending, all airmen who
      were shot down between June and December, 1944.
    • Gregory J Kopchak
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
        Congratulations on the Slovak edition Jim.

        Looks like you will have an exciting month.

        Greg Kopchak

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Matchett
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
          Hi Jim, This sounds so exciting and a great opportunity. I'm sure
          you'll gather more information about that era. I read your book. It
          was a stepping stone to reading more about Slovakia during the WW II.
          Julia Matchett

          > The American embassy in Slovakia is translating my book, World War
          > II: OSS Tragedy in Slovakia, ISBN 0971748209, into Slovak and
          > publishing a few thousand copies. They are bringing me to Bratislava
          > and Banska Bystrica to make two book-presentations (in English, I am
          > sorry to say). People visiting Slovakia may be interested in
          > attending the first function at the American embassy on August 26. I
          > can't guarantee invitations, but I can recommend people to the staff
          > running the event.
          >
          > Also, there is a huge celebration in Banska Bystrica on the 30th and
          > 31st. The president and prime minister of Slovakia will be speaking.
          > It is possible that one of the U.S. veterans who was there in 1944
          > also will speak. There is a historical symposium on the Uprising
          > featuring Slovak (and other) historians. I will be making two short
          > presentations. There still are a lot of Marxist-Leninist historians
          > around. Should be interesting.
          >
          > Please contact me if anyone needs additional information. The U.S.
          > embassy is working hard to organize their small part of the program.
          > A number of WW II American veterans will be attending, all airmen who
          > were shot down between June and December, 1944.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gil K.
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
            Hello Jim,

            Congratulations on your book being selected for translation by the American embassy.

            I've read your book and found it very interesting. Thanks for telling the world about this significant event.

            Good Luck in Bratislava.

            Gil K.

            pjdowns <downs24@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Jim Downs
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2004
              Thanks for the note. Jim

            • BJLK@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
                Congratulations to you, Jim!

                I'm glad to see that you are receiving recognition for your work.

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
                  Add a request along with my congratulations, Jim. Consider a sequel
                  to publish all the additional information people are hopefully coming
                  forth with since the publication of your book. Perhaps a major
                  magazine article or other means for telling more of the stories that
                  will come your way from people who never came forth before.

                  Ron

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2004
                    Thanks for the kind words. Jim

                  • Taoz@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2004
                      Jim,
                      Congratulations. Hope your book sells well over there. Be looking forward
                      to your next one.
                      Incidentally, I asked the Holocaust board whether a book had ever been
                      written about the Dachau trials and didn't get any positive responses. A couple of
                      people answered and said that they hadn't heard of one. Very disappointing.
                      Paul

                    • Jim Downs
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2004
                        Thanks, Paul, good to hear from you. Jim