Re: [Slovak-World] Food question

  • brieuc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
      I just couldn't resist all this discussion about Povitica. My Slovak
      grandmother never called it that, but then my grandfather was adament about both of
      them speaking English, now that they were in America (something I dearly wish
      others from other countries would want to do now, but don't). Anyhow, she
      called it "Nuts Cake Nuts to You". As a child, I used to think that was pretty
      funny and I really don't remember her ever saying it any other way. When I
      became an adult I nagged and nagged her to give me the recipe, but she would just
      say she used "a little of this and a little of that" and never worked from a
      regular recipe. So I tried in earnest to duplicate her great "Nuts Cake" and
      it took me 3 or 4 tries until I finally got it to taste just like
      Grandmother's. It takes a bit of work but the result is well worth it. Here is the
      recipe, if anyone is interested:

      2 cakes or envelopes yeast
      1/2 cup warm water
      1 cup milk, scalded
      3/4 cup butter, melted
      4 egg yolks
      1 whole egg
      1 tablespoon salt
      1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon sugar
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla
      grated rind of one lemon
      approx. 8 cups sifted flour

      Soften yeast in warm water, melt butter in scalded milk, cool to warm and add
      to yeast mixture in large bowl. Add beaten egg yolks and egg. Add next four
      ingredients. Gradually add flour.

      Knead on floured surface 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover and let
      rise about 2 hours. Knead down, roll out very thin on floured table. Brush
      generously with additional soft butter and cover thickly with the following
      mixture:

      7 cups finely ground walnuts
      sugar (white and brown) to taste
      cinnamon to taste

      Sprinkle with raisins (golden raisins best). Roll up, fashion in horseshoe
      shape and place on greased cookie sheet Iit should cover the entire space of a
      standard-sized cookie sheet). Let rise, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake at 425
      degrees 15 minutes, then at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (Can extend time a bit
      if not browned). Cool on wire racks.

      We never have to put half of this in the freezer to keep it from getting old
      because everyone here eats so much of it that is never has a chance to age
      <grin> but I suppose you could do it if you want.

      Laverne
    • Jim M
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
        this sounds like what I was used to as a youngster. My mother's cousin used
        to bake all day - making numerous loaves to give to friends and relatives.
        She didn't have a recipe either. Said she just knew how much of what.

        The thin rolled dough is what I know. Apparently the Hungarian type is
        different with a thicker layer of dough.

        The Strawberry Hill picture shows what looks like four rools in one.

        I can almost smell the dough and yeast now! Yummmm

        _____

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        HYPERLINK
        "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pjqfqv/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr