Re: Food question

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 10:19 PM
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Jim M" <bdgranpa@c...> wrote:
      > thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread
      with
      > honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is
      moist?
      > Too bad they don't have poppyseed.
      >
      > Jim

      You might try http://www.kathyspastries.com/home/ for poppyseed
      rolls. I haven't purchased from them so I cna't vouch for the quality
      but they look good.

      RU
    • brieuc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2 12:40 PM
        I just couldn't resist all this discussion about Povitica. My Slovak
        grandmother never called it that, but then my grandfather was adament about both of
        them speaking English, now that they were in America (something I dearly wish
        others from other countries would want to do now, but don't). Anyhow, she
        called it "Nuts Cake Nuts to You". As a child, I used to think that was pretty
        funny and I really don't remember her ever saying it any other way. When I
        became an adult I nagged and nagged her to give me the recipe, but she would just
        say she used "a little of this and a little of that" and never worked from a
        regular recipe. So I tried in earnest to duplicate her great "Nuts Cake" and
        it took me 3 or 4 tries until I finally got it to taste just like
        Grandmother's. It takes a bit of work but the result is well worth it. Here is the
        recipe, if anyone is interested:

        2 cakes or envelopes yeast
        1/2 cup warm water
        1 cup milk, scalded
        3/4 cup butter, melted
        4 egg yolks
        1 whole egg
        1 tablespoon salt
        1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon sugar
        1/2 teaspoon vanilla
        grated rind of one lemon
        approx. 8 cups sifted flour

        Soften yeast in warm water, melt butter in scalded milk, cool to warm and add
        to yeast mixture in large bowl. Add beaten egg yolks and egg. Add next four
        ingredients. Gradually add flour.

        Knead on floured surface 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover and let
        rise about 2 hours. Knead down, roll out very thin on floured table. Brush
        generously with additional soft butter and cover thickly with the following
        mixture:

        7 cups finely ground walnuts
        sugar (white and brown) to taste
        cinnamon to taste

        Sprinkle with raisins (golden raisins best). Roll up, fashion in horseshoe
        shape and place on greased cookie sheet Iit should cover the entire space of a
        standard-sized cookie sheet). Let rise, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake at 425
        degrees 15 minutes, then at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (Can extend time a bit
        if not browned). Cool on wire racks.

        We never have to put half of this in the freezer to keep it from getting old
        because everyone here eats so much of it that is never has a chance to age
        <grin> but I suppose you could do it if you want.

        Laverne
      • Jim M
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2 12:58 PM
          this sounds like what I was used to as a youngster. My mother's cousin used
          to bake all day - making numerous loaves to give to friends and relatives.
          She didn't have a recipe either. Said she just knew how much of what.

          The thin rolled dough is what I know. Apparently the Hungarian type is
          different with a thicker layer of dough.

          The Strawberry Hill picture shows what looks like four rools in one.

          I can almost smell the dough and yeast now! Yummmm

          _____

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          HYPERLINK
          "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pjqfqv/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr