RE: [Slovak-World] Food question

  • Jim M
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
      thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread with
      honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is moist?
      Too bad they don't have poppyseed.

      Jim

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi Jim,

        The Povitica from Strawberry Hill is very moist and generously filled with nuts. The standard loaf is quite heavy, about two pounds. We slice up the loaf and freeze those pieces we don't eat at one sitting; this keeps the Povitica moist and fresh for a long time.

        Quite frankly I like the Povitica better than my wife's nut rolls BUT her poppyseed rolls are the very best by far!

        Gil

        thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread with
        honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is moist?
        Too bad they don't have poppyseed.

        Jim

      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Jim M" <bdgranpa@c...> wrote:
          > thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread
          with
          > honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is
          moist?
          > Too bad they don't have poppyseed.
          >
          > Jim

          You might try http://www.kathyspastries.com/home/ for poppyseed
          rolls. I haven't purchased from them so I cna't vouch for the quality
          but they look good.

          RU
        • brieuc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
            I just couldn't resist all this discussion about Povitica. My Slovak
            grandmother never called it that, but then my grandfather was adament about both of
            them speaking English, now that they were in America (something I dearly wish
            others from other countries would want to do now, but don't). Anyhow, she
            called it "Nuts Cake Nuts to You". As a child, I used to think that was pretty
            funny and I really don't remember her ever saying it any other way. When I
            became an adult I nagged and nagged her to give me the recipe, but she would just
            say she used "a little of this and a little of that" and never worked from a
            regular recipe. So I tried in earnest to duplicate her great "Nuts Cake" and
            it took me 3 or 4 tries until I finally got it to taste just like
            Grandmother's. It takes a bit of work but the result is well worth it. Here is the
            recipe, if anyone is interested:

            2 cakes or envelopes yeast
            1/2 cup warm water
            1 cup milk, scalded
            3/4 cup butter, melted
            4 egg yolks
            1 whole egg
            1 tablespoon salt
            1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon sugar
            1/2 teaspoon vanilla
            grated rind of one lemon
            approx. 8 cups sifted flour

            Soften yeast in warm water, melt butter in scalded milk, cool to warm and add
            to yeast mixture in large bowl. Add beaten egg yolks and egg. Add next four
            ingredients. Gradually add flour.

            Knead on floured surface 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover and let
            rise about 2 hours. Knead down, roll out very thin on floured table. Brush
            generously with additional soft butter and cover thickly with the following
            mixture:

            7 cups finely ground walnuts
            sugar (white and brown) to taste
            cinnamon to taste

            Sprinkle with raisins (golden raisins best). Roll up, fashion in horseshoe
            shape and place on greased cookie sheet Iit should cover the entire space of a
            standard-sized cookie sheet). Let rise, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake at 425
            degrees 15 minutes, then at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (Can extend time a bit
            if not browned). Cool on wire racks.

            We never have to put half of this in the freezer to keep it from getting old
            because everyone here eats so much of it that is never has a chance to age
            <grin> but I suppose you could do it if you want.

            Laverne
          • Jim M
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
              this sounds like what I was used to as a youngster. My mother's cousin used
              to bake all day - making numerous loaves to give to friends and relatives.
              She didn't have a recipe either. Said she just knew how much of what.

              The thin rolled dough is what I know. Apparently the Hungarian type is
              different with a thicker layer of dough.

              The Strawberry Hill picture shows what looks like four rools in one.

              I can almost smell the dough and yeast now! Yummmm

              _____

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              HYPERLINK
              "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pjqfqv/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr