Re: [Slovak-World] Food question

  • Gil K.
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
      Jim,

      I've ordered POVITICA from Strawberry Hill several times and my family loves it. We enjoy it with coffee after our holiday meals.

      Sorry, I can't comment on how it compares to the POTICA you know.

      Gil K.

      Jim M <bdgranpa@...> wrote:
      Anyone ever order from STRAWBERRYHILL of Kansas City? How does their
      POVITICA differ from the POTICA I know?

      Thanks

      HYPERLINK http://www.strawberryhill.com http://www.strawberryhill.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Jim M
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
        thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread with
        honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is moist?
        Too bad they don't have poppyseed.

        Jim

        _____

        Jim M <bdgranpa@...> wrote:
        Anyone ever order from STRAWBERRYHILL of Kansas City? How does their
        POVITICA differ from the POTICA I know?

        Thanks

        HYPERLINK HYPERLINK
        "http://www.strawberryhill.com"http://www.strawberryhill.com HYPERLINK
        "http://www.strawberryhill.com"http://www.strawberryhill.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        HYPERLINK
        "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129t1a7sl/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1091500085/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
        anion.yahoo.com"click here
        HYPERLINK
        "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2128215/rand=623660685"

        _____

        HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/S
        lovak-World/

        HYPERLINK
        "mailto:Slovak-World-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"Slovak-

        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

      • Gil K.
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
          Hi Jim,

          The Povitica from Strawberry Hill is very moist and generously filled with nuts. The standard loaf is quite heavy, about two pounds. We slice up the loaf and freeze those pieces we don't eat at one sitting; this keeps the Povitica moist and fresh for a long time.

          Quite frankly I like the Povitica better than my wife's nut rolls BUT her poppyseed rolls are the very best by far!

          Gil

          thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread with
          honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is moist?
          Too bad they don't have poppyseed.

          Jim

        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Jim M" <bdgranpa@c...> wrote:
            > thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread
            with
            > honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is
            moist?
            > Too bad they don't have poppyseed.
            >
            > Jim

            You might try http://www.kathyspastries.com/home/ for poppyseed
            rolls. I haven't purchased from them so I cna't vouch for the quality
            but they look good.

            RU
          • brieuc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
              I just couldn't resist all this discussion about Povitica. My Slovak
              grandmother never called it that, but then my grandfather was adament about both of
              them speaking English, now that they were in America (something I dearly wish
              others from other countries would want to do now, but don't). Anyhow, she
              called it "Nuts Cake Nuts to You". As a child, I used to think that was pretty
              funny and I really don't remember her ever saying it any other way. When I
              became an adult I nagged and nagged her to give me the recipe, but she would just
              say she used "a little of this and a little of that" and never worked from a
              regular recipe. So I tried in earnest to duplicate her great "Nuts Cake" and
              it took me 3 or 4 tries until I finally got it to taste just like
              Grandmother's. It takes a bit of work but the result is well worth it. Here is the
              recipe, if anyone is interested:

              2 cakes or envelopes yeast
              1/2 cup warm water
              1 cup milk, scalded
              3/4 cup butter, melted
              4 egg yolks
              1 whole egg
              1 tablespoon salt
              1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon sugar
              1/2 teaspoon vanilla
              grated rind of one lemon
              approx. 8 cups sifted flour

              Soften yeast in warm water, melt butter in scalded milk, cool to warm and add
              to yeast mixture in large bowl. Add beaten egg yolks and egg. Add next four
              ingredients. Gradually add flour.

              Knead on floured surface 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover and let
              rise about 2 hours. Knead down, roll out very thin on floured table. Brush
              generously with additional soft butter and cover thickly with the following
              mixture:

              7 cups finely ground walnuts
              sugar (white and brown) to taste
              cinnamon to taste

              Sprinkle with raisins (golden raisins best). Roll up, fashion in horseshoe
              shape and place on greased cookie sheet Iit should cover the entire space of a
              standard-sized cookie sheet). Let rise, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake at 425
              degrees 15 minutes, then at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (Can extend time a bit
              if not browned). Cool on wire racks.

              We never have to put half of this in the freezer to keep it from getting old
              because everyone here eats so much of it that is never has a chance to age
              <grin> but I suppose you could do it if you want.

              Laverne
            • Jim M
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
                this sounds like what I was used to as a youngster. My mother's cousin used
                to bake all day - making numerous loaves to give to friends and relatives.
                She didn't have a recipe either. Said she just knew how much of what.

                The thin rolled dough is what I know. Apparently the Hungarian type is
                different with a thicker layer of dough.

                The Strawberry Hill picture shows what looks like four rools in one.

                I can almost smell the dough and yeast now! Yummmm

                _____

                "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pjqfqv/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1091562195/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                anion.yahoo.com"click here