Food question

  • Jim M
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
      Anyone ever order from STRAWBERRYHILL of Kansas City? How does their
      POVITICA differ from the POTICA I know?

      Thanks

      HYPERLINK http://www.strawberryhill.com http://www.strawberryhill.com

    • Gil K.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
        Jim,

        I've ordered POVITICA from Strawberry Hill several times and my family loves it. We enjoy it with coffee after our holiday meals.

        Sorry, I can't comment on how it compares to the POTICA you know.

        Gil K.

        Jim M <bdgranpa@...> wrote:
        Anyone ever order from STRAWBERRYHILL of Kansas City? How does their
        POVITICA differ from the POTICA I know?

        Thanks

        HYPERLINK http://www.strawberryhill.com http://www.strawberryhill.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Jim M
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
          thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread with
          honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is moist?
          Too bad they don't have poppyseed.

          Jim

          _____

          Jim M <bdgranpa@...> wrote:
          Anyone ever order from STRAWBERRYHILL of Kansas City? How does their
          POVITICA differ from the POTICA I know?

          Thanks

          HYPERLINK HYPERLINK
          "http://www.strawberryhill.com"http://www.strawberryhill.com HYPERLINK
          "http://www.strawberryhill.com"http://www.strawberryhill.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          HYPERLINK
          "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129t1a7sl/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1091500085/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
          anion.yahoo.com"click here
          HYPERLINK
          "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2128215/rand=623660685"

          _____

          HYPERLINK
          "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/S
          lovak-World/

          HYPERLINK
          "mailto:Slovak-World-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"Slovak-

          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        • Gil K.
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
            Hi Jim,

            The Povitica from Strawberry Hill is very moist and generously filled with nuts. The standard loaf is quite heavy, about two pounds. We slice up the loaf and freeze those pieces we don't eat at one sitting; this keeps the Povitica moist and fresh for a long time.

            Quite frankly I like the Povitica better than my wife's nut rolls BUT her poppyseed rolls are the very best by far!

            Gil

            thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread with
            honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is moist?
            Too bad they don't have poppyseed.

            Jim

          • sandman6294
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Jim M" <bdgranpa@c...> wrote:
              > thanks for the reply Gil. I'm used to - or rather prefer- nutbread
              with
              > honey so it is not so dry. Does it seem like Strawberry Hill is
              moist?
              > Too bad they don't have poppyseed.
              >
              > Jim

              You might try http://www.kathyspastries.com/home/ for poppyseed
              rolls. I haven't purchased from them so I cna't vouch for the quality
              but they look good.

              RU
            • brieuc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
                I just couldn't resist all this discussion about Povitica. My Slovak
                grandmother never called it that, but then my grandfather was adament about both of
                them speaking English, now that they were in America (something I dearly wish
                others from other countries would want to do now, but don't). Anyhow, she
                called it "Nuts Cake Nuts to You". As a child, I used to think that was pretty
                funny and I really don't remember her ever saying it any other way. When I
                became an adult I nagged and nagged her to give me the recipe, but she would just
                say she used "a little of this and a little of that" and never worked from a
                regular recipe. So I tried in earnest to duplicate her great "Nuts Cake" and
                it took me 3 or 4 tries until I finally got it to taste just like
                Grandmother's. It takes a bit of work but the result is well worth it. Here is the
                recipe, if anyone is interested:

                2 cakes or envelopes yeast
                1/2 cup warm water
                1 cup milk, scalded
                3/4 cup butter, melted
                4 egg yolks
                1 whole egg
                1 tablespoon salt
                1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon sugar
                1/2 teaspoon vanilla
                grated rind of one lemon
                approx. 8 cups sifted flour

                Soften yeast in warm water, melt butter in scalded milk, cool to warm and add
                to yeast mixture in large bowl. Add beaten egg yolks and egg. Add next four
                ingredients. Gradually add flour.

                Knead on floured surface 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover and let
                rise about 2 hours. Knead down, roll out very thin on floured table. Brush
                generously with additional soft butter and cover thickly with the following
                mixture:

                7 cups finely ground walnuts
                sugar (white and brown) to taste
                cinnamon to taste

                Sprinkle with raisins (golden raisins best). Roll up, fashion in horseshoe
                shape and place on greased cookie sheet Iit should cover the entire space of a
                standard-sized cookie sheet). Let rise, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake at 425
                degrees 15 minutes, then at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (Can extend time a bit
                if not browned). Cool on wire racks.

                We never have to put half of this in the freezer to keep it from getting old
                because everyone here eats so much of it that is never has a chance to age
                <grin> but I suppose you could do it if you want.

                Laverne
              • Jim M
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
                  this sounds like what I was used to as a youngster. My mother's cousin used
                  to bake all day - making numerous loaves to give to friends and relatives.
                  She didn't have a recipe either. Said she just knew how much of what.

                  The thin rolled dough is what I know. Apparently the Hungarian type is
                  different with a thicker layer of dough.

                  The Strawberry Hill picture shows what looks like four rools in one.

                  I can almost smell the dough and yeast now! Yummmm

                  _____

                  "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pjqfqv/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                  oups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1091562195/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                  anion.yahoo.com"click here