Eureka!!

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 26, 2004
      Thought I'd share a bright moment with all of you.
      Keep digging. I've been at this for over 3 years.
      Out of 4 grandparents I FINALLY found the origins of
      one of them. I recently received a letter from a
      Second Cousin of mine in Slovakia. She has a box of
      letters and photographs my grandmother sent to her
      grandmother (they were sisters). I cannot describe
      the feeling . . . some of you know how it feels . . .
      for the others . . . don't give up, it's so worth it
      when you strike gold. One of 4 down; three to go.
      Maybe in 20-ish years I'll have accomplished my goal.
      For now, this is an excellent feeling. I appreciate
      all your help and comraderie along the way and look
      forward to assisting others as I keep researching.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • gergely
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 26, 2004
        Congrats Caye, it is a good feeling.

        Good luck on the rest.

        Jack and Chris Gergely
        Newport News

        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 26, 2004
          In a message dated 7/26/04 6:09:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, gergely@...
          writes:

          > Out of 4 grandparents I FINALLY found the origins of
          > one of them.

          Caye,
          where did the grandparent that you found come from?
          noreen

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 26, 2004
            Noreen:

            That would be what once was Kolbasz, Hungary, now
            Brezina, Slovakia -- south-eastern Slovakia between
            Kosice and Trebisov. Not much written history on that
            town; but I'm thrilled beyond your wildest imagination
            to have realized there is a box of my grandmother's
            letters to be had -- wow!!!

            Caye

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 26, 2004
              Indeed; thanks Jack and Chris -- appreciate your
              reply.

              Caye

              --- gergely <gergely@...> wrote:
              > Congrats Caye, it is a good feeling.
              >
              > Good luck on the rest.
              >
              > Jack and Chris Gergely
              > Newport News

            • Matchett
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 26, 2004
                Talk about a bright moment, last night I got a phone call from a man I
                met five years ago in a store. He has Slovak roots and we exchanged
                phone numbers. He and his wife came to my Czech-Slovak picnic a year
                ago. I enclose flyers of Helene Cincebeaux's tours in the programs.

                Well he reported he just got back from Slovakia. They had been on
                Helene's Treasures tour. I had no idea they were on the tour since he
                was not at the picnic this year. There were two couples from my picnic
                this year that were on Helene's tour but I had no idea about this third
                couple . Anyhow, this man reported that Helene found his relatives and
                arranged for a driver/translator and he spent a day with them. They
                dug out photos of his mother and other relatives. He had a terrific
                time in Slovakia and said it was all because of meeting me. What a
                surprise! Julia Matchett

                > Thought I'd share a bright moment with all of you.
                > Keep digging. I've been at this for over 3 years.
                > Out of 4 grandparents I FINALLY found the origins of
                > one of them. I recently received a letter from a
                > Second Cousin of mine in Slovakia. She has a box of
                > letters and photographs my grandmother sent to her
                > grandmother (they were sisters). I cannot describe
                > the feeling . . . some of you know how it feels . . .
                > for the others . . . don't give up, it's so worth it
                > when you strike gold. One of 4 down; three to go.
                > Maybe in 20-ish years I'll have accomplished my goal.
                > For now, this is an excellent feeling. I appreciate
                > all your help and comraderie along the way and look
                > forward to assisting others as I keep researching.
                >
                > Caye

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 27, 2004
                  Mybe not much history on Brezina, but have you read the four lines of
                  outline on the back of the Touristicka Mapa #117 for that region? I
                  find the maps a handy source of compressed information. Looking up
                  the surrounding towns and geographical features is also interesting,
                  bringing a bit of life to the region.

                  Ron

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > Noreen:
                  >
                  > That would be what once was Kolbasz, Hungary, now
                  > Brezina, Slovakia -- south-eastern Slovakia between
                  > Kosice and Trebisov. Not much written history on that
                  > town;
                  >
                  > Caye
                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 27, 2004
                    Brezina is discussed under Eureka!! and Kolbasi is discussed under
                    title Brezina? In any case, here is the info that needs
                    translating...
                    Brezina C3: Obec sa spomlna od r. 1300 ako zemiansky majetok,
                    neskoršie patrila niekorkým majite¾om, v r. 1449 mal majetok v zálohu
                    J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec silno poškodená. Súcasou boli osady Halám,
                    Hegyalja a Nyri. Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r. 1785, kostol
                    referenènýz r. 1801.Z19.stor. zachované hlinené domy s valbovou
                    strechou zoradené za sebou v roz¾ahlých dvoroch.

                    Ron

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:
                    > Mybe not much history on Brezina, but have you read the four lines
                    of
                    > outline on the back of the Touristicka Mapa #117 for that region?
                    > find the maps a handy source of compressed information. Looking up
                    > the surrounding towns and geographical features is also
                    interesting,
                    > bringing a bit of life to the region.
                    >
                    > Ron
                    >
                    > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Noreen:
                    > >
                    > > That would be what once was Kolbasz, Hungary, now
                    > > Brezina, Slovakia -- south-eastern Slovakia between
                    > > Kosice and Trebisov. Not much written history on that
                    > > town;
                    > >
                    > > Caye
                  • Gerald J. Sabo
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 28, 2004
                      Translation: Brezina C3[?: The village/town is
                      mentioned
                      from 1300 as a petty nobleman's property, later it
                      belonged
                      to certain owners, in 1449 Jan Jiskra [Czech
                      military/historical figure] had the property as
                      security
                      [probably for some loan]. In 1944 the village/town
                      was
                      seriously damaged. Parts [of it] were the
                      settlements
                      Halam, Hegeyalia, a Nyri. The church is
                      Baroque-Neo-Classical from 1785, the church was
                      [renovated??] in 1801. From the 19th century are
                      preserved earthen/clay homes with [??} roofs, [the
                      houses were] arranged [one after] another in
                      extensive/extended [court]yards--this is the best I
                      can do for you--Jerry Sabo.

                      > Brezina C3: Obec sa spomlna od r. 1300 ako
                      zemiansky
                      > majetok, neskoršie patrila niekorkým majite¾om,
                      v r. 1449
                      > mal majetok v zálohu J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec
                      silno poškodená.
                      > Súcas・ou boli osady Halám, Hegyalja a Nyri.
                      Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r.
                      > 1785, kostol referenènýz r. 1801.Z19.stor.
                      zachované hlinené
                      > domy s valbovou strechou zoradené za sebou v
                      roz¾ahlých dvoroch.

                      > Ron

                    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 28, 2004
                        A "valbova strecha" is a Pavilion hipped roof, a four-sided roof. See
                        image at

                        http://www.kmbeta.sk/pages/mainModules/Calculation/pages/valbova/va_za
                        d.php

                        I think a "kostol referencny" is an ecclesiastical term for a type of
                        parish church (something like a referential church?). There's an old
                        office called a referendary, a legal expert who handles appeals, it
                        might be connected to that. So the phrase means "a referential?
                        church from 1801".

                        Joe

                        Translation: Brezina C3[?: The village/town is
                        mentioned
                        from 1300 as a petty nobleman's property, later it
                        belonged
                        to certain owners, in 1449 Jan Jiskra [Czech
                        military/historical figure] had the property as
                        security
                        [probably for some loan]. In 1944 the village/town
                        was
                        seriously damaged. Parts [of it] were the
                        settlements
                        Halam, Hegeyalia, a Nyri. The church is
                        Baroque-Neo-Classical from 1785, the church was
                        [renovated??] in 1801. From the 19th century are
                        preserved earthen/clay homes with [??} roofs, [the
                        houses were] arranged [one after] another in
                        extensive/extended [court]yards--this is the best I
                        can do for you--Jerry Sabo.

                        > Brezina C3: Obec sa spomlna od r. 1300 ako
                        zemiansky
                        > majetok, neskoršie patrila niekorkým majite¾om,
                        v r. 1449
                        > mal majetok v zálohu J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec
                        silno poškodená.
                        > Súcas·ou boli osady Halám, Hegyalja a Nyri.
                        Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r.
                        > 1785, kostol referenènýz r. 1801.Z19.stor.
                        zachované hlinené
                        > domy s valbovou strechou zoradené za sebou v
                        roz¾ahlých dvoroch.

                        > Ron

                      • Gerald J. Sabo
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 28, 2004
                          Thanks, Joe.

                          By the way,Caye, I just recalled that the Slovak
                          Institute in Cleveland has a large map of Slovakia with
                          many/most/maybe all villages ever listed on it. Caye might
                          try contacting them for a copy--I think ten dollars or so.
                          The e-mail address is <slovakinstitute@...> and Mr.
                          Joseph Hornack noted to me that if you write them with your
                          information they will do whatever research they can for you
                          and then if possible highlight the map appropriately. I
                          mentioned to him that you were seeking info on Kolbasz. By
                          the way, I checked the Podrobny Autoatlas Slovenska and
                          there is only one town close to that spelling--Kolbasov,
                          which is located slightly NE of Snina, on p. 57, which I
                          think is still Zemplin area--Jerry Sabo.

                          > A "valbova strecha" is a Pavilion hipped roof, a
                          > four-sided roof. See
                          > image at

                          http://www.kmbeta.sk/pages/mainModules/Calculation/pages/valb
                          ova/va_za
                          > d.php
                          >
                          > I think a "kostol referencny" is an ecclesiastical
                          > term for a type of
                          > parish church (something like a referential
                          > church?). There's an old
                          > office called a referendary, a legal expert who
                          > handles appeals, it
                          > might be connected to that. So the phrase means "a
                          > referential?
                          > church from 1801".
                          >
                          > Joe

                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 28, 2004
                            Cool, I'll contact him -- thank you. My family ended
                            up in Cleveland -- so appropriate they'd have more
                            info.

                            Caye

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                              Joe,
                              I just had one of those brainstorms-at-2am, except that it happened just now. In my translation for Caye about Brezina I said that Brezina's "Lutheran church was built in 1801 in the Classical style". Down below, you wondered about "kostol referencny" as a referential church.
                              A big dope slap to both of us. "Kostol: ref." means a church belonging to the 'Reformovana cirkev' or the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia = the Calvinists . A Lutheran church would be designated "Kostol: ev." (Evanjelicka cirkev). Calvinists make sense as they're much more common in southern Zemplin than Lutherans.

                              Helen

                              >>> JArmata@... 7/28/2004 9:43:32 AM >>>

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                              To visit your group on the web, go to:
                            • Caye Caswick
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                                WOW, that's the term my cousin used in her letter --
                                Calvinist -- not that I've never heard it, but I
                                really know nothing about Calvinists -- but yep,
                                that's exactly right Helen. Thanks.

                                Caye

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                                  Jerry would be the obvious one to give us a capsule summary of the Calvinists. Jerry???

                                  Helen

                                  >>> ccaswick@... 7/29/2004 11:11:21 AM >>>

                                  --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:

                                  > Joe,
                                  > I just had one of those brainstorms-at-2am, except
                                  > that it happened just now. In my translation for
                                  > Caye about Brezina I said that Brezina's "Lutheran
                                  > church was built in 1801 in the Classical style".
                                  > Down below, you wondered about "kostol referencny"
                                  > as a referential church.
                                  > A big dope slap to both of us. "Kostol: ref."
                                  > means a church belonging to the 'Reformovana cirkev'
                                  > or the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia = the
                                  > Calvinists . A Lutheran church would be designated
                                  > "Kostol: ev." (Evanjelicka cirkev). Calvinists
                                  > make sense as they're much more common in southern
                                  > Zemplin than Lutherans.
                                  >
                                  > Helen

                                  > AM >>>
                                  > A "valbova strecha" is a Pavilion hipped roof, a
                                  > four-sided roof. See
                                  > image at

                                  http://www.kmbeta.sk/pages/mainModules/Calculation/pages/valbova/va_za

                                  > d.php
                                  >
                                  > I think a "kostol referencny" is an ecclesiastical
                                  > term for a type of
                                  > parish church (something like a referential
                                  > church?). There's an old
                                  > office called a referendary, a legal expert who
                                  > handles appeals, it
                                  > might be connected to that. So the phrase means "a
                                  > referential?
                                  > church from 1801".
                                  >
                                  > Joe

                                • Gerald J. Sabo
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                                    The Calvinists appeared in Slovakia primarily among Magyar
                                    resident in the early seventeenth century. During the
                                    seventeenth century the number of Calvinists as also that of
                                    Lutherans began to shift and get smaller. Calvinists in the
                                    mid-eighteenth century in the Zemplin area wanted to retain
                                    their Slovak character against the increasing Magyarization
                                    of their Calvinist church organization and practice, and so
                                    published five distinct texts in Zemplin/Cultural EastSlovak
                                    for use in their Slovak-area congregations. In 1781 the
                                    Edit/Letter/Patent of Toleration by Joseph II recognized
                                    their legal status, and in 1848 the Reformed Church was
                                    recognized among other legally established religious
                                    denominations. Since 1951 the church is known as the
                                    Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia. I recommend the
                                    article on the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia in the
                                    one-volume encyclopedia Slovakia and the Slovaks from 1994
                                    as well as the article on Calvinist printings.

                                    > Jerry would be the obvious one to give us a capsule
                                    > summary of the Calvinists. Jerry???
                                    >
                                    > Helen

                                    > WOW, that's the term my cousin used in her letter --
                                    > Calvinist -- not that I've never heard it, but I
                                    > really know nothing about Calvinists -- but yep,
                                    > that's exactly right Helen. Thanks.
                                    >
                                    > Caye
                                    >
                                    > --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Joe,
                                    > > I just had one of those brainstorms-at-2am,
                                    > except
                                    > > that it happened just now. In my translation for
                                    > > Caye about Brezina I said that Brezina's "Lutheran
                                    > > church was built in 1801 in the Classical style".
                                    > > Down below, you wondered about "kostol referencny"
                                    > > as a referential church.
                                    > > A big dope slap to both of us. "Kostol:
                                    > ref."
                                    > > means a church belonging to the 'Reformovana
                                    > cirkev'
                                    > > or the Reformed Christian Church in Slovakia = the
                                    > > Calvinists . A Lutheran church would be
                                    > designated
                                    > > "Kostol: ev." (Evanjelicka cirkev). Calvinists
                                    > > make sense as they're much more common in southern
                                    > > Zemplin than Lutherans.
                                    > >
                                    > > Helen

                                    > 9:43:32
                                    > > AM >>>
                                    > > A "valbova strecha" is a Pavilion hipped roof, a
                                    > > four-sided roof. See
                                    > > image at

                                    http://www.kmbeta.sk/pages/mainModules/Calculation/pages/valb
                                    ova/va_za

                                    > > d.php
                                    > >
                                    > > I think a "kostol referencny" is an ecclesiastical
                                    > > term for a type of
                                    > > parish church (something like a referential
                                    > > church?). There's an old
                                    > > office called a referendary, a legal expert who
                                    > > handles appeals, it
                                    > > might be connected to that. So the phrase means
                                    > "a
                                    > > referential?
                                    > > church from 1801".
                                    > >
                                    > > Joe

                                  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                                      I first read the word as reformovany~ too (Reformed), but it's
                                      referencny~, a different word (as you realize, the "z" at the end is
                                      an independent word, going with 1801 - "from 1801"). I'm guessing the
                                      3rd letter from the end is a "c", in my email it appears as an "e"
                                      with a backward slash over it - all the special characters appear as
                                      gibberish in the message on my system.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                                        I'm confused. My text in "Vlastivedny slovnik..." says:

                                        "Kostol gr. k. barok.-klas. z 1785. Kostol ref. klas. z 1801, vez^a z konca 19. stor."

                                        Yours must be a little different.

                                        Helen

                                        >>> JArmata@... 7/29/2004 3:22:39 PM >>>

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                                          I was following the email that was sent in:

                                          Brezina C3: Obec sa spomlna od r. 1300 ako
                                          zemiansky
                                          majetok, neskor*ie patrila niekorkým majite¾om,
                                          v r. 1449
                                          mal majetok v zálohu J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec
                                          silno po*kodená.
                                          Súcas·ou boli osady Halám, Hegyalja a Nyri.
                                          Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r.
                                          1785, kostol referenènýz r. 1801.Z19.stor.
                                          zachované hlinené
                                          domy s valbovou strechou zoradené za sebou v
                                          roz¾ahlých dvoroch.

                                          I don't have the original email anymore so don't know where it came
                                          from. But yours does sound like it means reformed.

                                          Joe

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                                            I think this info was taken from the back of a map. Since the "Vlastivedny slovnik..." is such a basic resource, I'm guessing that they took the test from there and made a typo (a whopper, apparently) when expanding the abbreviations. I also noticed that this info says that the village "was heavily damaged in 1944", while my text said that it "was heavily damaged by the Germans in 1944". A little editing for space, no doubt.

                                            Helen

                                            >>> JArmata@... 7/29/2004 3:48:44 PM >>>

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 29, 2004
                                              I vaguely remember the mention of the back of a map --
                                              and maybe a tourist or bike/hiking map at that -- but
                                              then my mind's sometimes like a collander.

                                              I think I printed out that e-mail and stuffed it into
                                              a huge redwell on the floor of my genealogy room --
                                              unfortunately, no particular order, but if I run
                                              across it, I'll repost it.

                                              Caye

                                            • Sara Peticiously
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 30, 2004
                                                >WOW, that's the term my cousin used in her letter --
                                                Calvinist -- not that I've never heard it, but I
                                                really know nothing about Calvinists <

                                                I believe they were admirers of our thirtieth President.

                                                RU ;-)

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 30, 2004
                                                  I MISSED that name -- glad to see Sara's back --

                                                  Caye

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 30, 2004
                                                    I proofed the scanned document and made some corrections on a Slovak
                                                    keyboard to get the letters correct. I was in a hurry and did not
                                                    proof the scanning and it missed some items = primarily the š (or s^
                                                    if the original does not come through).

                                                    The next paragraph is what I originally posted, the one following
                                                    that is the proofed version.

                                                    Brezina C3: Obec sa spomlna od r. 1300 ako zemiansky majetok,
                                                    neskor*ie patrila niekorkým majite¾om, v r. 1449 mal majetok v zálohu
                                                    J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec silno po*kodená. Súcas·ou boli osady
                                                    Halám, Hegyalja a Nyri. Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r. > 1785,
                                                    kostol referenènýz r. 1801.Z19.stor. zachované hlinené domy s
                                                    valbovou strechou zoradené za sebou v roz¾ahlých dvoroch.

                                                    Brezina C3: Obec sa spomína od r. 1300 ako zemiansky majetok,
                                                    neskoršie patrila niekolkým majite¾om, v r. 1449 mal majetok v zálohu
                                                    J. Jiskra. V r. 1944 obec silno poškodená. Súèasou boli osady
                                                    Halám, Hegyalja a Nyri. Kostol barokovo-klasicistický z r. > 1785,
                                                    kostol referenèný z r. 1801.Z 19. stor. zachované hlinené domy s
                                                    valbovou strechou zoradené za sebou v roz¾ahlých dvoroch.

                                                    If this posting comes through with the accented letters distorted I
                                                    will experiment with a repeat post with the Language box checked
                                                    as "Czech" instead of "English".

                                                    Ron

                                                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"

                                                    Service.

                                                  • Caye Caswick
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Aug 1, 2004
                                                      I got a little more info (hopefully, it's in Slovak,
                                                      so I personally can't tell exactly how much more or
                                                      different it is) -- I'll post it to the images section
                                                      from work on Monday -- I've got access to a scanner
                                                      there. Thanks to Jerry Sabo and the Slovak Institute
                                                      in Cleveland -- all very cool people. Also three
                                                      other towns also in Zemplen which are similar in
                                                      spelling to Kolbasa (now Brezina) -- which I can also
                                                      share, maybe someone will benefit from the knowledge.

                                                      Caye

                                                      === message truncated ===

                                                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail