[Slovak-World] Re: Slovak First Names (was Slovak "A" Word)

  • Jerome Omasta
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 9, 2004
      >Slovak's,

      This whole discussion as been most interesting. Since I come from
      western Slovak stock around Myjava and Evanjelik (Lutheran) at that, it has
      been revealing to hear about the R.C. and Greek Orthodox customs. I think
      everyone would be better advised to be more specific as to the time (year
      or era), region (small geographic area), religious affiliation, and customs
      of the family. I think Vladamir Bohinc could shed some light on this
      subject, when he has time.
      In my own experience there are numerous examples of Omasta's born in
      Slovakia (Myjava) with only a first name and no middle name. Now try and
      enplane to someone which Jan Omasta your talking about ! It seems that in
      this microcosm of Slovakia this is the norm. In fact when I pursued the
      issue of a middle name I got a curt response that only "Catholics" did that
      ! So, I accepted that for the moment. A week later I am over in Vyskov, in
      the Czech Rep. where I have Roman Catholic Omasta relatives and cousin
      Miroslav Omasta (no middle name) is having his newborn baby girl baptized.
      Again, no middle name. I intervened the day before the baptism pleading
      with my cousin Miroslav - "Please give her a middle name if for no other
      reason than to aid in her identity in the family genealogy." Since Miroslav
      has done volumes in the Omasta research he began to see the light. It
      helped a lot that his parents where in the room at the time. Miroslav had
      to translate my English to Czech and visa versa. His father saw the logic
      to this right away and looked to his wife for concurrence. She had a short
      exchange with Miroslav's wife. It all came back to me "Jerry, what should
      the middle name be ?" Oh boy, now I've done it, I thought. Well I thought
      for a few moments and decided to through out a few choices and see what
      they liked. Low and behold they all chose the same one so Michaelka
      Omastová was baptized Michaelka Andriana Omastová. Babka Antonie Žofie
      Buštová and Babka Bìla Prášilová just loved the way I pronounced it, or
      should I say enunciated it.

      By the way, it wasn't until my grandmothers (Omasta) 4th child was born
      in 1922 that they received a middle name. This is the first generation born
      in America. My grandfathers brother, also in the USA only gave his third
      child a middle name. Those of us in the 2nd generation born in the USA all
      have middle names.
      On my maternal German Lutheran side 3 and some 4 first names. Go figure !

      So, I would surmise that there are no hard fast rules to this but only some
      generalities.

      Jerry