Fw: Re: [S-R] Etiquette when visiting

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
      May I suggest taking a Polaroid camera? I found that pictures taken of
      the visitors and the family are very welcome. Be sure to take plenty of
      film, however, since it is not obtainable in Slovakia. Also, do not let
      the film go through the airport x-ray machine. Despite what they will
      tell you, it is damaged by being x-rayed.

      William F. Brna

      My wife and I will be visiting Slovakia later this month. I have been
      in email contact with a 4th cousin there and he is setting up a dinner
      party in my grandfather's village (Bosany) that his aunt will prepare.
      If we were going to a friend's house here, we'd probably bring a
      bottle of wine or something. What is the appropriate thing to do
      there?

      Thanks,

      Tim

      To unsubscribe from this group, go to

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      * * * * * * *

      "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who
      wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW 5:42

      "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the
      door will be opened to you." MATTHEW 7:7

    • wrabbit@wolfenet.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
        If polaroid film can't be found, I found that regular film is easily available as is quick developing.

        Everyone loved pictures - my relatives took many shots and mailed them to us.

        (At least in Kocise and Poprad in 2000)

        They always had plenty of drinks, including beer and local liquor and small cakes for us when visiting. They gave us lots of gifts, we left cash (although they were embarrassed to take it) We brought CDs as we knew the kids were into music and had CD players - they appreciated it, but it seems our musical tastes did not match. They were into Sarah Mclaughlin, I was into German Rock. Go figure.

        Dushan

        It reminds me, of my relatives, everyone is expected to have a hobby/skill. Painting, needlework, music or photography are popular (I must boast one of the family one has won awards for photos and one travels Germany and Cesky in a band) May I ask if this is true in general of Slovaks, as I suspect?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
          I should explain that these were close family we were staying with - I just wanted to point out that as suggested, photos were great.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
            Bill,
            someone had asked you if it would be all adults or if children would also be
            present at the dinner. it reminded me of something i read once that small
            gifts or toys for the children are always welcome.
            noreen