Re: [Slovak-World] A Memorial Day refletion (a bit lengthy, but worth reading)

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
      I merely presented a suggestion to limit the amount of money that is
      spent on campaigns for elective office to eliminate the effect of
      "buying" an office such as we have in the current system. It does not
      affect free speech, merely the amount of money spent. I am sure that the
      news media will still report what the candidates say. One possibility to
      limit the number of candidates is to permit that amount to be spent in
      primary elections and then again in the general election. I'm sure the
      questions that you (and others) raise can be addressed and resolved.

      President Bush has raised some $200,000,000 for his primary campaign and
      can still raise money until the Republican Convention. Once the
      Convention is over, he will receive $74,000,000 in public money (our
      taxes) to spend for the general election. There is something definitely
      wrong with a system which allows a candidate to spend $1.00 for each
      person in the United States. This does not include what the other
      party's candidate can spend. There simply has to be a better way.

      William F. Brna