RE: [Slovak-World] A Memorial Day refletion (a bit lengthy, but worth reading)

  • gergely
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
      That was powerful!>

      Jack Gergely
      Newport News

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Fred G Kovalyak [mailto:fkovalyak@...]
      Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2004 5:29 PM
      To: Slovak-World
      Subject: [Slovak-World] A Memorial Day refletion (a bit lengthy, but
      worth reading)

> [...]
      > > > national cemeteries - all speak to the value we
      > > > place on human life.
      > > >
      > > > The Vietnam Women's Memorial of the three
      > > > servicewomen and the wounded GI; the Korean War
      > > > Veterans Memorial's haggard, windblown patrol
      > > > trudging up the rugged terrain; and the memorial
      > of
      > > > the flag-raising on Iwo Jima do not glorify war
      > -
      > > > they testify to the glory of the human spirit.
      > > >
      > > > The Civil War battlefields and the monument in
      > > > Boston to Robert Gould Shaw and his 54th
      > > > Massachusetts Regiment of Negro soldiers who
      > rode
      > > > together into the jaws of death for the cause of
      > > > justice tell us of the price past generations
      > have
      > > > paid so we might live in a more perfect union.
      > They
      > > > remind us also of the work our generation must
      > do.
      > > >
      > > > This Memorial Day weekend, we will join in
      > > > celebrating the opening of the National World
      > War II
      > > > Memorial honoring the great generation of
      > Americans
      > > > who saved the world from fascist aggression and
      > > > secured the blessings of liberty for hundreds of
      > > > millions of people around the world.
      > > >
      > > > Today, their descendants are fighting the global
      > war
      > > > against terrorism, serving and sacrificing in
      > > > Afghanistan and Iraq and at other outposts on
      > the
      > > > front lines of freedom. The life of each and
      > every
      > > > one of them is precious to their loved ones and
      > > > our nation. And each life given in the name of
      > > > liberty is a life that has not been lost in
      > vain.
      > > >
      > > > In time, lasting memorials will stand where the
      > Twin
      > > > Towers once etched New York City's skyline, near
      > the
      > > > west side of the Pentagon, and in the
      > Pennsylvania
      > > > field where doomed heroes died on Sept. 11,
      > 2001,
      > > > using their last moments to save the lives of
      > others
      > > > and most probably the Capitol or the White House
      > -
      > > > symbols of our living democracy.
      > > >
      > > > All of us lead busy lives. We have little time
      > > > pause and reflect.
      > > >
      > > > But I ask of you: Do not hasten through Memorial
      > > > Day. Take the time to remember the good souls
      > whose
      > > > memories are a blessing to you and your family.
      > Take
      > > > your children to our memorial parks and
      > monuments.
      > > > Teach them the values that lend meaning to our
      > lives
      > > > and to the life of our nation. Above all, take
      > the
      > > > time to honor our fellow Americans who have
      > given
      > > > their last full measure of devotion to our

      From Secretary Powell on Memorial Day

    • gergely
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
        That's good Brna.

        Who will decide who are legitimate candidates to be bestowed with the free
        time on "peoples" airwaves? Or will anyone wishing to become presiden get
        the free time. That sure should solve the problem of TV programming being
        overloaded with Olympics on elecetion years. And, who will decide when the
        campaign money was spent by the candidates, or by others, not legally
        connected to the campaign, but are still interested parties? Isn't there an
        ammendment somewhere in the Constitution that guarantees free speech?
        Duh???

        Jack Gergely

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
          I merely presented a suggestion to limit the amount of money that is
          spent on campaigns for elective office to eliminate the effect of
          "buying" an office such as we have in the current system. It does not
          affect free speech, merely the amount of money spent. I am sure that the
          news media will still report what the candidates say. One possibility to
          limit the number of candidates is to permit that amount to be spent in
          primary elections and then again in the general election. I'm sure the
          questions that you (and others) raise can be addressed and resolved.

          President Bush has raised some $200,000,000 for his primary campaign and
          can still raise money until the Republican Convention. Once the
          Convention is over, he will receive $74,000,000 in public money (our
          taxes) to spend for the general election. There is something definitely
          wrong with a system which allows a candidate to spend $1.00 for each
          person in the United States. This does not include what the other
          party's candidate can spend. There simply has to be a better way.

          William F. Brna