A Memorial Day refletion (a bit lengthy, but worth reading)

  • Fred G Kovalyak
    Message 1 of 10 , May 30, 2004
> [...]
      > > > national cemeteries - all speak to the value we
      > > > place on human life.
      > > >
      > > > The Vietnam Women's Memorial of the three
      > > > servicewomen and the wounded GI; the Korean War
      > > > Veterans Memorial's haggard, windblown patrol
      > > > trudging up the rugged terrain; and the memorial
      > of
      > > > the flag-raising on Iwo Jima do not glorify war
      > -
      > > > they testify to the glory of the human spirit.
      > > >
      > > > The Civil War battlefields and the monument in
      > > > Boston to Robert Gould Shaw and his 54th
      > > > Massachusetts Regiment of Negro soldiers who
      > rode
      > > > together into the jaws of death for the cause of
      > > > justice tell us of the price past generations
      > have
      > > > paid so we might live in a more perfect union.
      > They
      > > > remind us also of the work our generation must
      > do.
      > > >
      > > > This Memorial Day weekend, we will join in
      > > > celebrating the opening of the National World
      > War II
      > > > Memorial honoring the great generation of
      > Americans
      > > > who saved the world from fascist aggression and
      > > > secured the blessings of liberty for hundreds of
      > > > millions of people around the world.
      > > >
      > > > Today, their descendants are fighting the global
      > war
      > > > against terrorism, serving and sacrificing in
      > > > Afghanistan and Iraq and at other outposts on
      > the
      > > > front lines of freedom. The life of each and
      > every
      > > > one of them is precious to their loved ones and
      > > > our nation. And each life given in the name of
      > > > liberty is a life that has not been lost in
      > vain.
      > > >
      > > > In time, lasting memorials will stand where the
      > Twin
      > > > Towers once etched New York City's skyline, near
      > the
      > > > west side of the Pentagon, and in the
      > Pennsylvania
      > > > field where doomed heroes died on Sept. 11,
      > 2001,
      > > > using their last moments to save the lives of
      > others
      > > > and most probably the Capitol or the White House
      > -
      > > > symbols of our living democracy.
      > > >
      > > > All of us lead busy lives. We have little time
      > > > pause and reflect.
      > > >
      > > > But I ask of you: Do not hasten through Memorial
      > > > Day. Take the time to remember the good souls
      > whose
      > > > memories are a blessing to you and your family.
      > Take
      > > > your children to our memorial parks and
      > monuments.
      > > > Teach them the values that lend meaning to our
      > lives
      > > > and to the life of our nation. Above all, take
      > the
      > > > time to honor our fellow Americans who have
      > given
      > > > their last full measure of devotion to our

      From Secretary Powell on Memorial Day

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 31, 2004
        Fred,
        It was lengthy and i had put the reading aside until having more time to read
        it. but its message was worth recalling. It was a walk through our
        country's values and honor.
        Noreen

      • Fred G Kovalyak
        Message 3 of 10 , May 31, 2004
          Ure right Noreen ....its worth recalling.

          It's too Bad we Americans dont recall these Roots
          more
          often. I've gotten to DISLIKE Politics because its
          now , "Whats in it for Me or my Party".

          Once in a while I try to lighten up this wen page
          because I read toooo much Diatribe.

          Life is tough enough much of the time without
          reading about peope or political parties berating one
          another.

          I hope I live long enough to see the day that we
          wont have a Democrat or Republican Party or anyother
          party but have INDIVIDUAL's as candidates being
          mmembers of Congress and our President.

          And the KICKER, no one could accept money from
          special interests.

          AMERICA has got to get get back to the RIGHTS we
          fought for in past wars and STOP trying to build
          DEMOCRACY governments we would like to see.

          We need to do a Better job here in the USA.
          My dad, Michael M. Kovalyak, was a Coal Miner (in the
          Punxsutawney, Pa region), then a Welder of propellor
          blades in Curtiss Wright(Beaver, Pa), and finally
          retired as a Overhead Crane Operator (at the Midland
          Steel Works).

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • Fred G Kovalyak
          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2004
[...]

            We have it Good in the USA, but it was better about
            20 years ago. Not sure what has happened, but it
            seems we are going Backward.

            We Need to Get Back to America's Roots.

            Fred G Kovalyak
            Columbia, Md.
            www.fgkoval@...

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • krejc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 31, 2004
              In a message dated 5/31/2004 8:48:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              fkovalyak@... writes:

              > I hope I live long enough to see the day that we
              > wont have a Democrat or Republican Party or anyother
              > party but have INDIVIDUAL's as candidates being
              > mmembers of Congress and our President.

              Fred,
              This would be wonderful. The way it should be. Just people who want to run
              for office, serve for a few years, and go back to private life, as it was in
              the Constitution days. Another thing I wish would happen is that members of
              Congress serve no more than four years. After that they get too comfortable and
              too indebted to party and special interests. the passion to do good is gone.
              Noreen

            • William F Brna
              Message 6 of 10 , May 31, 2004
                Fred,

                It's not likely that any of us will live long enough to see the demise of
                political parties, but there are ways to lessen the influence of special
                interests. One is for genuine campaign money reform such as limiting the
                amount that may be spent to be elected to political office to the amount
                of salary earned while serving in that office. For example, the
                president's salary is $400,000 per year for four years meaning that a
                candidate for president could spend only $1,600,000 for his campaign.
                Since only a limited amount of money could be spent, the campaign would
                necessarily need to be limited to only a short time (e.g., four or six
                weeks). Further, since the people own the airwaves, television stations
                would be required to provide free time for all candidates for two weeks
                to spell out the candidates' positions. This is about as likely to
                happen as for the political parties to go belly up.

                William F. Brna

                On Mon, 31 May 2004 05:43:15 -0700 (PDT) Fred G Kovalyak
                <fkovalyak@...> writes:

                > I hope I live long enough to see the day that we
                > wont have a Democrat or Republican Party or anyother
                > party but have INDIVIDUAL's as candidates being
                > mmembers of Congress and our President.
                >
                > And the KICKER, no one could accept money from
                > special interests.

                > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

              • area9103
                Message 7 of 10 , May 31, 2004
                  Maybe some of the out-of-the-US participants can confirm that
                  foreigners see the US political finance system as legalised /
                  legislated methods of corruption.

                  In other words, Congress has legislated how the corruption is to be
                  conducted.

                  Will anyone overseas confirm this?

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, William F Brna <wfbrna@j...>
                  wrote:
                  > Fred,
                  >
                  > It's not likely that any of us will live long enough to see the
                  demise of
                  > political parties, but there are ways to lessen the influence of
                  special
                  > interests. One is for genuine campaign money reform such as
                  limiting the
                  > amount that may be spent to be elected to political office
                • gergely
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
                    That was powerful!>

                    Jack Gergely
                    Newport News

> [...]
                    > > > using their last moments to save the lives of
                    > others
                    > > > and most probably the Capitol or the White House
                    > -
                    > > > symbols of our living democracy.
                    > > >
                    > > > All of us lead busy lives. We have little time
                    > > > pause and reflect.
                    > > >
                    > > > But I ask of you: Do not hasten through Memorial
                    > > > Day. Take the time to remember the good souls
                    > whose
                    > > > memories are a blessing to you and your family.
                    > Take
                    > > > your children to our memorial parks and
                    > monuments.
                    > > > Teach them the values that lend meaning to our
                    > lives
                    > > > and to the life of our nation. Above all, take
                    > the
                    > > > time to honor our fellow Americans who have
                    > given
                    > > > their last full measure of devotion to our

                    From Secretary Powell on Memorial Day

                  • gergely
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
                      That's good Brna.

                      Who will decide who are legitimate candidates to be bestowed with the free
                      time on "peoples" airwaves? Or will anyone wishing to become presiden get
                      the free time. That sure should solve the problem of TV programming being
                      overloaded with Olympics on elecetion years. And, who will decide when the
                      campaign money was spent by the candidates, or by others, not legally
                      connected to the campaign, but are still interested parties? Isn't there an
                      ammendment somewhere in the Constitution that guarantees free speech?
                      Duh???

                      Jack Gergely

                      <fkovalyak@...> writes:

                      > I hope I live long enough to see the day that we
                      > wont have a Democrat or Republican Party or anyother
                      > party but have INDIVIDUAL's as candidates being
                      > mmembers of Congress and our President.
                      >
                      > And the KICKER, no one could accept money from
                      > special interests.

                      > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

                    • William F Brna
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
                        I merely presented a suggestion to limit the amount of money that is
                        spent on campaigns for elective office to eliminate the effect of
                        "buying" an office such as we have in the current system. It does not
                        affect free speech, merely the amount of money spent. I am sure that the
                        news media will still report what the candidates say. One possibility to
                        limit the number of candidates is to permit that amount to be spent in
                        primary elections and then again in the general election. I'm sure the
                        questions that you (and others) raise can be addressed and resolved.

                        President Bush has raised some $200,000,000 for his primary campaign and
                        can still raise money until the Republican Convention. Once the
                        Convention is over, he will receive $74,000,000 in public money (our
                        taxes) to spend for the general election. There is something definitely
                        wrong with a system which allows a candidate to spend $1.00 for each
                        person in the United States. This does not include what the other
                        party's candidate can spend. There simply has to be a better way.

                        William F. Brna