Re: [Slovak-World] civil marriage records

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 19 , May 3, 2004
      Dear Julie,
      Civil records are something completely different than church records. They are all there, kept at Town Halls or Mayor's
      offices. The Registrar's office is caller Matrika or Matricny urad.
      Civil records fall under privacy law, so a spacial procedure is required if you want something from them. They usually also are not very fond of doing any research. They understand their duty to issue a Certificate, if you know name, date and place and if you are entitled to receive it, according to the privacy law.
      Lately, some older civil records , before 1903, began to have been transferred to the archives. Before they will be available for viewing, some more water will flow.
      Vladimir