Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Electricity & Coal

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 99 , May 2, 2004
      Dear Dave,
      I totally believe that this is your honest opinion.
      The Hydrogen fuel stations you mention remind me of the Austrian joke. Austrians have closed their only nuclear plant just when it was finished. The Motto was : " We do not need nuclear electricity. We get it from the oulets in the wall."
      Hydrogen manufacturing requires also a lot of energy. So the Arabs will be able to manufacture Hydrogen with their oil.
      It is not my opinion, that Americans don't care about the prices. Everybody does.
      A price of gasolone, three times higher is but something you never experienced and therefore can not imagine the consequences.
      Every economy, be it of a state or of a family is tried to be kept in a kind of balance, with positive trend.
      Everyhting comprising such an economy is interconnected. You change one thing, some other things will have to change.
      Greenspan is adjusting the trimming of the US economy with as little as 1% changes in rates.
      Can you really believe, that a 300% change in fuel prices would have no effect?
      Take the economy of your own family. You have a fixed income of whatever sort. From this income everything is being financed. So, every type of cost represents a certain percentage of your income. Maybe you do not know the percentages by heart, but you have a very good feeling about how much of your income is going for what. According to this, you manage your life and plan the future.
      Now, such a sudden change comes. Your balance is in limbo. You will have to cut on many edges. Not only driving a car will be more expensive. Many other things too. Too many things are related to oil.
      Eventually your whole life style will have to change. Drastically. You may even go bancrupt.
      This would of course not be the America you wanted. And, you would of course not be alone in this opinion.
      I do not want to theoretize about the consequences.
      Maybe you would be willing to pay for your gas just any price, but not for long.
      Not for long.
      Vladimir

      Message 99 of 99 , May 6, 2004
        Hmmm, nostalgia...

        That reminds me of deja vu. Or is it the other way around.
        Colin