Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Electricity & Coal

  • Gil K.
    Message 1 of 99 , May 1, 2004
      Vladimir,

      "Glorious Technologies" may not solve all the world's problems but ignoring available technologies for problem solving represents a step backward for mankind.

      When something goes wrong we tend to blame technolgy but the fault belongs to the person (s) who misuses ot misapplies the technology.

      The use of technology involves risks and one must assess the risks before applying the technology. Thank God that American engineers have taken risks in pursuit of a better society or we would still be using wooden sticks for ploughing, burning camel dung for cooking and heating and living in mud brick houses.

      I'm sorry you mentioned the Challenger as a failure of technology. It was not the technology that should be blamed but the project managers who failed to properly assess the risks associated with the hardware before and during the mission.

      If you fail to get this message please don't blame the technology but look to the server operator who may have committed some error. :-)

      Gil

      Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
      Dear Jack,
      I remember once I read about huge areas in US, like around Los Alamos, which are heavily contaminated with "wild" dumping of radioactive waste. You should consider, that there are also radioactive liquids of all sorts, which sooner or later begin to leak. Downplaying this danger is a very simple way to deal with this.
      Soviets were duping this into the sea.
      Do not believe, the glorious Technologies can handle every problem and wipe it from the Earth. This belief is a fatal mistake, which was common also for the mighty Soviet State and their ideology.
      yes, you trust in Technology and the Challenger falls from the sky.
      Vladimir

      Message 99 of 99 , May 6, 2004
        Hmmm, nostalgia...

        That reminds me of deja vu. Or is it the other way around.
        Colin