slovak trip

  • capt jack
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2004
      We are preparing to send our son to Slovakia this June, as a gift for graduating college. When we were visiting there last year, some of my relatives made it known that they would enjoy some good Kentucky bourbon. My question concerns sending some with him when he visits.
      Is there any limit to how much he can take with him, or is it not allowed to bring liquor through customs when entering Europe and Slovakia? I'm curious if any of you have any knowledge of what is permissible in this matter. Thanks for your input.

      CJ

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 19 , May 2, 2004
        My experience on various European borders is one lliter or bottle of hard drink or two liters of wine.
        Kentucky bourbon can be bought anywhere, here too.
        I prefer Southern comfort.
        Vladimir

        We are preparing to send our son to Slovakia this June, as a gift for graduating college. When we were visiting there last year, some of my relatives made it known that they would enjoy some good Kentucky bourbon. My question concerns sending some with him when he visits.
        Is there any limit to how much he can take with him, or is it not allowed to bring liquor through customs when entering Europe and Slovakia? I'm curious if any of you have any knowledge of what is permissible in this matter. Thanks for your input.

        CJ

        http://www.eset.sk

      • area9103
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2, 2004
          If his experience is the same as I have had several times the only
          limit is in what he can physically carry. Make sure he knows how to
          drink and survive however!

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, capt jack <captjack00@y...>
          wrote:
          > We are preparing to send our son to Slovakia this June, as a gift
          for graduating college. When we were visiting there last year, some
          of my relatives made it known that they would enjoy some good
          Kentucky bourbon. My question concerns sending some with him when he
          visits.
          > Is there any limit to how much he can take with him, or is it
          not allowed to bring liquor through customs when entering Europe and
          Slovakia? I'm curious if any of you have any knowledge of what is
          permissible in this matter. Thanks for your input.

          > CJ

        • gergely
          Message 4 of 19 , May 2, 2004
            I picked up some Jack Daniels at the Budapest duty free when we entered,
            prior to driving to Slovakia. It was a hit, and saved trying to carry it
            internationally.
            Jack Gergely

            Message 5 of 19 , May 2, 2004
              Jck,

              I want to send some "Markers Mark" brand from Kentucky, Im not sure they sell that in Europe.

              CJ

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                They do have a Jack Daniels. Markers Mark, probably not. To be on the safe
                side he should take just one bottle. You never know. USA and North American
                tourist are subject to passport control and also a luggage check at random
                at the point of entry to European Union.

                Vladimir Linder

                At 10:46 AM 5/2/2004, you wrote:
                >Jck,
                >
                > I want to send some "Markers Mark" brand from Kentucky, Im not sure
                > they sell that in Europe.
                >
                >CJ

                >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129ge60vh/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1083606407/A=1894285/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>
                >edf5a4.jpg
                >
                >edf5d7.jpg

                > *
                >
                > *

              • capt jack
                Message 7 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                  Thanks to all who replied,

                  It is still unsettled though, it seems I can take one liter or as much as I can carry! I would assume the answer is somewhere inbetween.

                  CJ

                • J. Michutka
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                    Hi All,

                    I have a couple of questions that have arisen as I've been looking at
                    microfilmed records. One appears to be a notation of date of death,
                    appended to marriage records. But the appended note is written very tiny
                    in each case, so I'm not sure I'm reading all the letters correctly. eg a
                    marriage record for a date in 1895, with a tiny note that appears to read
                    "zemich zomrel 11.VI.1957" I assume this means that one of the marriage
                    partners died on 11 June 1957, but which one? "zemich" is stumping me! Do
                    I assume it's the groom, 'cause otherwise it'd be "zomrela"?

                    Another marriage record in Village A, 1896, written out just like all the
                    other marriage records, and in the notes column "civiliter copulati in
                    <neighboring village B>"--the couple was married by civil law in the
                    neighboring village B. I didn't even know that civil marriage was an
                    option. Now I'm wondering how often people might have exercised that
                    option; how many records am I missing seeing because they might have been
                    registered at the gov't level, and not in the parish? Anyone know anything
                    about this?

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...
                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 2, 2004
                      Dear Julie,
                      If you come into times after 1895, you may always reckon with the possibility, that there was a civil marriage, which was compulsory and no church marriage.
                      Zenich is a broom.
                      Vladimir

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3, 2004
                        When my parents got married in 1936, a civil ceremoney was compulsory
                        and a religious one optional. My parents were very religious, so the
                        civil ceremony was something they had to do, but they always considered
                        their religious ceremony (a couple of days later) as their real wedding
                        day.

                        "Zenich" is the groom.

                        Helen

                        >>> konekta@... 5/3/2004 2:31:08 AM >>>
[...]

                        Service.

                        http://www.eset.sk

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                        var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] =
                        "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129glup90/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1083662791/A=1874381/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var
                        link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile =
                        'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_mal_lrec_01.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var
                        lrec_altURL =
                        "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129glup90/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705103562:HM/EXP=1083662791/A=1874381/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var
                        lrec_altimg =
                        "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_mal_lrec_01.gif";var
                        lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;
                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                        To visit your group on the web, go to:
                      • J. Michutka
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 3, 2004

                          >Zenich is a broom.
                          >Vladimir

                          >"Zenich" is the groom.
                          >Helen

                          oh, gosh, which translation to choose........ :)

                          Just went to my dictionary, which did not have zenich when I looked the
                          other day, 'cause I'll write in words that it lacks. Oddly enough, it now
                          has the word; wonder if I looked under z- instead of z^- before?

                          The dictionary says bridegroom; Vladimir, what exactly have you been using
                          to sweep the floors?

                          d'akujem pekne, to you both!

                          Julie Michutka
                          jmm@...
                        • J. Michutka
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 3, 2004
                            At 08:31 AM 5/3/04 +0200, you wrote:
                            >Dear Julie,
                            >If you come into times after 1895, you may always reckon with the
                            >possibility, that there was a civil marriage, which was compulsory and no
                            >church marriage.

                            Thank you Vladimir, as usual you are a gold mine of information. Do the
                            civil records still exist, eg in regional archives or the towns themselves
                            (in which case I bet some would have been lost/destroyed by now)?

                            Julie Michutka
                            jmm@...
                          • Vladimir Bohinc
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 3, 2004
                              Dear Julie,
                              Civil records are something completely different than church records. They are all there, kept at Town Halls or Mayor's
                              offices. The Registrar's office is caller Matrika or Matricny urad.
                              Civil records fall under privacy law, so a spacial procedure is required if you want something from them. They usually also are not very fond of doing any research. They understand their duty to issue a Certificate, if you know name, date and place and if you are entitled to receive it, according to the privacy law.
                              Lately, some older civil records , before 1903, began to have been transferred to the archives. Before they will be available for viewing, some more water will flow.
                              Vladimir

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 3, 2004
                                sorry Julie, just before writing it, I was in a broom business :-)
                                ( was in a broom town 10 days ago)
                                Vladimir