Question for Martin V...re what is the Slovak noun with neg. connotations?

  • durisek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 9:33 AM
      In a message dated 5/1/2004 10:22:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      votrubam@... writes:

      > The Slovaks are beginning to
      > use the English word _leader_ when talking about leadership now, since the
      > corresponding Slovak noun is quite unusable for historical reasons.

      Martin... What is the Slovak noun? -S.

    • yawho2001
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1 11:32 AM
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, durisek@a... wrote:

        > Martin... What is the Slovak noun? -S.

        I liked one of the definitions given for leader, "predny^ kon^" (lead
        or front horse). Speaking of which, today is Derby Day. Maintaining
        the Slovak connection to this thread, it makes me glad we haven't
        changed to metric. Imagine singing "Camptown racetrack's 8.047
        kilometers long". ;-)

        Janko
      • gergely
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 12:48 PM
          I like lead horse. And remember, if you're not the lead horse, the scenery
          is always the same.

          Jack Gergely

          I liked one of the definitions given for leader, "predny^ kon^" (lead
          or front horse). Speaking of which, today is Derby Day. Maintaining
          the Slovak connection to this thread, it makes me glad we haven't
          changed to metric. Imagine singing "Camptown racetrack's 8.047
          kilometers long". ;-)

          Janko

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1 1:33 PM
            It is the word "Vodca", which in german means Fuhrer, and this was Hitler. This is why.
            And Slovakia was faschist during WW2. Slovak Vodca was Tiso, a Rc Priest.
            Vladimir
            I like lead horse. And remember, if you're not the lead horse, the scenery
            is always the same.

            Jack Gergely

            I liked one of the definitions given for leader, "predny^ kon^" (lead
            or front horse). Speaking of which, today is Derby Day. Maintaining
            the Slovak connection to this thread, it makes me glad we haven't
            changed to metric. Imagine singing "Camptown racetrack's 8.047
            kilometers long". ;-)

            Janko

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            http://www.eset.sk

          • gergely
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1 3:33 PM
              I definitely like lead horse a lot better.