Some thoughts on Slovakia joining the EU

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 6:34 AM
      It is a sunny, but not for long, Saturday morning here in Pittsburgh. When
      I opened my eyes the world looked quite different. Then I realised that I
      was not wearing my glasses. I put them on only to see that the world really
      has changed, as Slovaks are now Euros!

      Actually that bit above is all in jest, as I watched the midnight
      ceremonies on BBC World at 6 PM EDT. I am rather proud for my ancestral
      homeland. A day like this something that I could have only imagined. I am
      more proud of this achievement than Slovakia joining NATO. As a BBC
      commentator said, this event marks a true end to the cold war.

      All the very real concerns about worker migrations, cheap labour aside (and
      I don't mean to under estimate the importance of these to the more advanced
      European nations), it is still a proud moment. To me it is a recognition
      that the Slovak people are European and not Soviet. And that is very
      important psychological step!

      Tonight when I cantor at church, one hymn I'll be singing is Hymn to Joy

      Tony Pavick
    • Dan Kisha
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 4:15 PM
        Magda:

        This is one mans opinion.

        To me the Truth is that Slovakia is joining the EU, but they are
        still Slavs at heart. When Russia joins the EU then the tensions
        or divisions will be erased in that huge continent.

        What do you think?

        Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...
        Slovak Import Company
        WWW Address: http://pages.prodigy.net/daniel.kisha
        Ebay WWW Address:
        http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany
        Phone number in Slovakia: 421 (0)43 428 3168
        Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

[...]

        ---------------------~-->
        Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
        Lexmark
        Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
        Canada.
        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/KDdolB/TM
      • Claudia Medvik

            Message 5 of 8 , May 2 11:39 PM
              Yes, very much so.
              The first thing that happened after joining was, that NATO planes flew over those Baltic states. Russia feels threatened and is threatened. Watch the developments and read russian sites from time to time.
              Vladimir

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              http://www.eset.sk

            • krejc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3 3:11 AM
                I am reading some books on World War II and find that at Yalta, one of the
                reasons that Poland was "given" to Communism is just for that reason. Stalin
                did not want the West at his door.
                Noreen

                In a message dated 5/2/04 9:39:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cmedvik@...
                writes:

                > The BBC mentioned that they were taking advantage of Russia's weakened
                > state, and that a Russia of the future might feel threatened by the West right up
                > to its border. Do you think this is a valid opinion?

              • area9103
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3 7:39 AM
                  One good option is to restructure NATO to make Russia a full
                  participating member. That gives them full insigt into all NATO
                  activities and the assurance their western borders are secure.

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, krejc@a... wrote:

                  > I am reading some books on World War II and find that at Yalta, one
                  of the
                  > reasons that Poland was "given" to Communism is just for that
                  reason. Stalin
                  > did not want the West at his door.
                  > Noreen
                  >

                  > In a message dated 5/2/04 9:39:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  cmedvik@m...
                  > writes:
                  >
                  > > The BBC mentioned that they were taking advantage of Russia's
                  weakened
                  > > state, and that a Russia of the future might feel threatened by
                  the West right up
                  > > to its border. Do you think this is a valid opinion?

                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3 8:33 AM
                    For as much as I know russian soul, they will never allow that somebody else will vote on what they have to do in military terms. They are too proud. I find it correct.
                    Vladimir

                    http://www.eset.sk