Re: Pre-EU Shopping Spree

  • yawho2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
      At 01:14 AM 5/1/2004 -0400, you wrote:
      >Slovakia is now a member of the European Union, which will probably
      meanthe end of the April rush on supermarkets.

      There will be no customs checks at the borders any more (except with
      Ukraine), so the Slovaks may benefit even more than up to now from
      importing cheaper goods from the other EU countries, especially
      groceries from Poland and Hungary (which may hurt Slovak producers).<

      Martin,

      I missed the online CATO discussion on the EU Thursday because of
      another appointment. Did you get an opportunity to listen in? This
      was on Radio Prague:

      "Labour and Social Affairs Minister Zdenek Skromach has confirmed
      that workers from the enlarged EU will face no restrictions in the
      Czech Republic. Minister Skromach said that the country would welcome
      all EU citizens who wish to live and work here, but that it would
      take steps to prevent people from abusing the country's social system
      and security benefits. Of the present member states only Britain,
      Ireland and Sweden have opened their labour markets to the ten
      newcomers."

      Do you know what Slovakia's views on employment of EU workers in SK?
      I would imagine it might not be too attractive to older EU members
      workers.

      Janko
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2004
        > I missed the online CATO discussion on the EU ... Did you get an
        > opportunity to listen in?

        I did, Janko -- thanks again for posting it. It was fairly interesting,
        but not overwhelmingly so. By comparison to the two guys from Cato who
        spoke, the SK Ambassador was rather impressionistic. A Cato speaker
        argued strongly that accepting the eruo soon would be bad for the new
        members, since they would give up a means to manage their economies, whose
        needs are substantially different from the rich members under whose
        control the euro is.

        An interesting moment was when a Cato speaker harped a bit on Paris that
        instead of trying to dominate Europe, it should try to show genuine
        leadership. And one of the European participants responded that he felt
        no particular need for anyone's "leadership." In Slovakia, too, the
        concept of a "leader" smacks of "Fuehrer," or of "the leading role of the
        Communist Party," and is usually avoided. The Slovaks are beginning to
        use the English word _leader_ when talking about leadership now, since the
        corresponding Slovak noun is quite unusable for historical reasons.

        > has confirmed that workers from the enlarged EU will face no
        > restrictions in the Czech Republic. Minister Skromach said that the
        > country would welcome all EU citizens

        I wonder whether the English version reflects what's going on. If so,
        Prague has changed its policies. Originally, it decided to "retaliate"
        and only open its labor market to the _new_ EU members, and to those old
        EU members that open their labor markets to the new members (Ireland,
        Britain, and Sweden, where the parliament overturned the government's
        proposal to the contrary).

        > what Slovakia's views on employment of EU workers in SK?

        Slovakia has opened its labor market to all the EU members. I agree,
        Janko, that one wouldn't expect too many West European workers flocking to
        any of the new members. It's more of a symbolic gesture on the part of
        Bratislava, as well as Prague.

        What's never discussed, though, are any potential pressures on the new
        members' labor markets from other new members. The Czech R. and Slovakia
        have kept their labor market mutually open since their split, but the
        others haven't.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • yawho2001
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2004
          At 10:20 AM 5/1/2004 -0400, you wrote:
          >A Cato speaker argued strongly that accepting the eruo soon would be
          bad for the new members, since they would give up a means to manage
          their economies, whose needs are substantially different from the
          rich members under whose control the euro is.<

          >An interesting moment was when a Cato speaker harped a bit on Paris
          that instead of trying to dominate Europe, it should try to show
          genuine leadership. And one of the European participants responded
          that he felt no particular need for anyone's "leadership."<

          Thanks Martin. Twenty five nations with a population of 455 million
          is impressive. I'm going to have to get a better understanding of
          the structure and operation of the EU. If, as was mentioned, Russia
          and perhaps Ukraine were to become members that would put the
          population near one billion and greatly increase the natural
          resources available to the Union. I have no idea if the addition of
          those two nations is feasible.

          From the Washington post:

          "The population of the EU will increase by 20 percent to 455 million
          inhabitants and the group will add nine new official languages. The
          new members also add $548 billion to the EU's collective GDP bringing
          it to $11,891 billion. The increase in population will make the EU
          the largest trading block in the world in terms of population but it
          will remain second to the United States -- which has a GDP of $13,712
          billion --as an international economic force."

          I can understand why some in this country are a bit concerned about
          the EU.

          >What's never discussed, though, are any potential pressures on the
          new members' labor markets from other new members. The Czech R. and
          Slovakia have kept their labor market mutually open since their
          split, but the others haven't.<

          I was thinking of that. In particular, competition from Polish
          workers might be a problem. The East Germans, who have yet to catch
          up with their western countrymen, seem to fear the influx of Polish
          workers and the Poles worry the Germans will buy back all the land
          ceded to them after the war.

          Also from the Washington Post, "But across Western Europe, millions
          of people would rather not shoulder the cost, both in taxes to
          underwrite the modernization of newcomer nations and in the potential
          jobs lost. "

          Wars, globalization, etc., brings to mind the Chinese curse, "May you
          live in interesting times."

          Janko