Re: Guarding Intelligence Successes

  • yawho2001
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 25, 2004
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
      > There is a good book "the last 100 days" I think the author's name
      is Brian
      > Toland? explains the machinations of the Yalta conference.
      >
      > my father was impressed by the allies " they gave away my country
      without
      > even asking me if it was Ok "
      >
      > Nick

      The victors giveth and the victors taketh away. As you know, up
      until 1918 there was no Czechoslovakia.

      I've read a few of John Toland's books and I enjoy his style even
      though I may not agree with him on all points. One person described
      his talent as "Toland was a master storyteller, not an academic or
      military historian as such, and had a novelist's understanding of the
      illuminating detail, the minor tragedy emblematic of the whole, and
      the reader's fascination with the character of people acting under
      the most extreme duress imaginable." He also wrote "The Last 100
      Days is not that of the impending victory of the good, or the
      impending defeat of the evil -- although the end of the war in Europe
      was certainly both -- but of immense tragedy and the dawning
      awareness that at the end of the war, the world was going to remain
      an exceedingly dangerous place, as the unnatural marriage of
      necessity between the Western powers and Stalin's Soviet Union came
      to an end."

      That gets us back to the fact that Stalin did not live up to the
      agreement at Yalta and our recourse would have been to force the
      Soviets out of the Eastern Block.

      Janko