Location question

  • Jim M.
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2004
      When trying to get info from my Dad he told me that his father came from
      LOKCA,ORAVA. But in looking at the passenger manifest from Ellis Island it
      lists him as coming from LOKOZA.

      Since I don't speak slovak, is it possible the places sounded alike to my
      Dad ?

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2004
        Of interest to anyone whose family spent time in NYC in the early part of
        the 1900s (from Avotaynu). I already found a "Mitchutka" that I didn't
        know about; the website also includes a printable form for ordering death
        certificates. Site allows searching by "sounds like" name, so if I typed
        in "sounds like Michutka" it would catch anything with the same soundex code.
        --Julie Michutka

        ************************************

        The Italian Genealogical Group has posted an index to New York City deaths
        from 1891 to 1911--more than 1,400,000 records. The index is located at
        http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDeathSearch.stm
        The project was accomplished by scanning the original index pages, so the
        quality of the results is yet to be determined. When using the death index,
        be sure to click a button for both Last Name option and Years Searched.
        There is no error checking, and if you do not select a button, no results
        are produced and there is no error message.
        The site also includes a number of naturalization indexes including Southern
        District of New York (Manhattan) for 1906-1959, Bronx County (1914-1952) and
        Nassau and Suffolk Counties. The group has a number of other indexing
        projects in the works including a brides' index (for Brooklyn, Queens and
        the Bronx) and grooms' for all boroughs of New York City.

      • d
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2004
          Hello,
          My name is Dushan Hanisko. I am a 1st generation american of Slovak decent
          living in Seattle, WA. Interestingly, there is a statue in Seattle that cam
          from Poprad where my father lived. (Born in the Tatras north of Kosice) I
          actually think the family came from Hungary 8 generations ago and was named
          Haniscz. (I think that was how it was spelled on the certificate) I am
          hoping perhaps I can learn a bit more about my heritage.

          ~D
        • raybravo2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2004
            Welcome Dushan,

            Be sure to go to the "Links" area and you can look in the "Photos"
            area too. The statue in Seattle, what is it?

            Colin

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "d" <wrabbit@w...>
            wrote:

            > Hello,
            > My name is Dushan Hanisko. I am a 1st generation american
            of Slovak decent
            > living in Seattle, WA. Interestingly, there is a statue in Seattle
            that cam
            > from Poprad where my father lived. (Born in the Tatras north of
            Kosice) I
            > actually think the family came from Hungary 8 generations ago
            and was named
            > Haniscz. (I think that was how it was spelled on the certificate)
            I am
            > hoping perhaps I can learn a bit more about my heritage.
            >

            > ~D
          • d
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2004
              A very large Lenin. Torn down in Poprad when the communists lost power.
              Bought by a slovak near here for it's artistic value. Not communist myself,
              but as a metal artist it is quite impressive. It has an odd sentimental
              value. It's for sale by the way :)

              ~Dushan

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 12, 2004
                Lokca was once known as Lokza and is up in Orava.

                Helen

                >>> bdgranpa@... 4/10/2004 12:34:17 PM >>>
                When trying to get info from my Dad he told me that his father came
                from
                LOKCA,ORAVA. But in looking at the passenger manifest from Ellis
                Island it
                lists him as coming from LOKOZA.

                Since I don't speak slovak, is it possible the places sounded alike to
                my
                Dad ?

                To visit your group on the web, go to:
              • raybravo2000
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 12, 2004
                  A large statue of Lenin for sale... Does the rope by which we will hang ourselves come with it?
                  Colin

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "d" <wrabbit@w...> wrote:
                  > A very large Lenin. Torn down in Poprad when the communists lost power.
                  > Bought by a slovak near here for it's artistic value. Not communist myself,
                  > but as a metal artist it is quite impressive. It has an odd sentimental
                  > value. It's for sale by the way :)
                  >
                  > ~Dushan

                • gergely
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 12, 2004
                    Hey, nearby in Williamsburg Virginia, we have a park with huge busts of all
                    of the American presidents. Maybe the curator would like the Lenin statue
                    to set up on the way to the porta-pottys.

                    BTW, at St. Catherine's cathedral in Kosice there is a relief of Lenin on
                    one of the minor doors on the side. Obviously from a by-gone era. It was
                    there in 95, don't know if it is still there. I have a photo of it.

                    Jack Gergely
                    Newport News

                    A large statue of Lenin for sale... Does the rope by which we will hang
                    ourselves come with it?
                    Colin

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "d" <wrabbit@w...> wrote:
                    > A very large Lenin. Torn down in Poprad when the communists lost power.
                    > Bought by a slovak near here for it's artistic value. Not communist
                    myself,
                    > but as a metal artist it is quite impressive. It has an odd sentimental
                    > value. It's for sale by the way :)
                    >
                    > ~Dushan

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • area9103
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 12, 2004
                      Statue Park (Szobor Park) in Budapest
                      Balatoni ut.
                      Budapest
                      Hungary
                      Tel: 1-227-7446

                      The final resting place for fallen Communist statues, including those
                      of Lenin, Marx and Engels, plus memorial plaques that were removed
                      after the downfall of the Communist regime.

                      Photos at
                      http://community.webshots.com/album/6198959LOgJXIuuDV

                      references at

                      http://www.budapestinfo.hu/en/sights/showmuseum.phtml?code=szoborpark