Re: [Slovak-World] Boston area Czechs and Slovaks

  • Matchett
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004
      Hi Julie, There are a lot of Czechs and Slovaks here in Florida that
      are not Americans of CZ and SK descent.

      We had our 4th Annual Czecho-Slovak picnic here in Melbourne, FL, on
      March 21st. It's always interesting to see who will show up. There
      were some young Czech guys from Karlovy Vary. One spoke English, the
      others didn't. Also a couple young Czech women. One woman who married
      an American and has a couple children confided she's homesick. I gave
      her the name of another Czech woman with little children who couldn't
      make this year's picnic.

      This year about 140 people were at the picnic. It's fun getting
      together. The young people who were born in Czechoslovakia and are
      working here appreciated the picnic but I think they thought they'd
      meet more young people instead of Americans of Czech/Slovak descent.

      In early March, I attended Slovak Day at Slovak Garden near Orlando.
      It's a retirement community for Slovak-Americans but has a lot of young
      Slovaks getting together there. There was a Slovak Mass, dinner, the
      Lucina dance group from Cleveland performing and then dancing. The
      proceeds went to the building of a Catholic school near Kosice.

      Julia M.