Re: [Slovak-World] 1848-1849 Revolution

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2004
      Dear Jerry,
      I don't know all the details and have never seen any original document pertaining to this subject. Slovak Land Record in general begins with around 1900.What one would have to do is to study the documents of one or two noble families. There probably are Land sales contracts from those times.
      What I know is, that the peasants had the right to buy land from the landowner after the revolution, and that the landowners gave them the worst pieces of land, while they turned from the feudal landowners into capitalistic landowners and kept the best land for their huge fields and forrests. These huge land entities , also called Majer, remained till ww2, when they changed flag and became Collective Farms, which are still now.
      Slovak farmers never had anything more than a horse or two, no tractors etc. What they were farming was small pieces of land. You will hardly see a farmer's house with a big barn or stable. German farmers were better off, and their houses were bigger. I do not know, how it was with the hunagrian farmers on the slovak soil.
      Regards,
      Vladimir