Re: Slovak-World] Expatriate status

  • yawho2001
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
      wrote:
      > > BPRATA'(Russian) " pronounced "vrata" translates as gate
      >
      > That would be BOPOTA (pronounced [vorota]), but the Russian
      spelling has
      > nothing to do with it, Janko.

      Martin, thanks for the etymology of Bratislava. My "New Russian-
      English and English-Russian Dictionary" shows " вpaтá " as gate=
      (s)
      but my "Romanov's Russian-English English-Russian Dictionary" spells
      it " вopόтa ". In all deference to those learned and patr=
      iotic
      gentlemen, I prefer "Gateway to the Slavs". ;-)

      Janko
    • yawho2001
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "yawho2001" <yawho2001@y...>

        That should read:

        Martin, thanks for the etymology of Bratislava. My "New Russian-
        English and English-Russian Dictionary" shows " BpraTa' " as gate(s)
        but my "Romanov's Russian-English English-Russian Dictionary" spells
        it " Bopo'Ta ". In all deference to those learned and patriotic
        gentlemen, I prefer "Gateway to the Slavs". ;-)

        Janko
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
          Hooyah,

          The "Gateway to the Slavs" may be true enough today, coming from
          Vienna and southwest. However, I remember reading some Austrian
          histories that do talk of Slavic settlements in parts of where
          Austria is today, so it would not have been the 'gateway' way back in
          the old, old days.

          Ron

          wrote:
          In all deference to those learned and patriotic
          > gentlemen, I prefer "Gateway to the Slavs". ;-)
          >
          > Janko
        • Jan Lan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
            At 04:25 AM 2/4/2004 +0000, you wrote:
            >Hooyah,
            >
            >The "Gateway to the Slavs" may be true enough today, coming from
            >Vienna and southwest. However, I remember reading some Austrian
            >histories that do talk of Slavic settlements in parts of where
            >Austria is today, so it would not have been the 'gateway' way back in
            >the old, old days.
            >
            >Ron

            Gates are, at the least, bidirectional. Just pick the direction you're
            interested in going. ;-)

            Janko
          • yawho2001
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004